I’ve got a large plastic tub full of pieces of fabric left over from all sorts of projects, all big enough for something, but not something for me. I’m always loathe to throw these bits out, or even to give them to the local school for the kids, because I know I can do something useful with them – eventually…
So this project is me using up one piece of that stored fabric. You’ll remember the Morgan Jeans I made last year, with a yummy, dark denim from Croft Mill Fabrics. There was a piece left over that wasn’t much good for anything except maybe a tote bag, and that’s what I had in mind for it for ages. But, going through the April issues of Burda looking for projects to make this month, I came across a cute kid’s denim jacket #134 04/2010. A friend of mine has a little boy who’s 5 this year – it would be perfect for him! (and I thought it could be kept for his little sister to wear when she’s big enough)
So I traced out the 6 year old size (110), and the pieces fit perfectly on what was left of my denim. Go! Go! GO! It was tricky to get the pins in, I’d forgotten that, and stiff to cut – oh dear, but I ignored the warning bells…
All in all, it’s a simple pattern to assemble, the instructions, while basic, are clear. The only problem I had with the whole thing is the size of those little pattern pieces and the stiffness of the fabric! I don’t mind admitting I swore a fair bit. And I have made a vow, never make a tiny denim jacket with fabric that stiff ever, ever again!!! It was really fiddly to turn the cuffs, the collar nearly killed my fingers (they got in the way of my pounding). The only good thing was that my old Bernina sailed through all those layers of thick denim with consumate ease.
Boy am I glad I’m only making one for two kids! I think it would be lovely in a softer twill too, even a nice linen/cotton blend. In order to reduce bulk around the welt pocket area, and to make it easier for my machine to get through layers, I cut the pocket pieces from another bit of left over fabric, black and white large check gingham cotton. I deliberately did not choose something “boy-like” so that it could be handed down and worn again. I like the idea of unizex clothing when it comes to items like jackets and coats. Makes sense, money wise. I remember as a kid, my mum bought me boys jeans that my brother got when I outgrew them, and my sister got them after that! If there weren’t holes in them, that is.
I didn’t want traditional jeans buttons, they can sometimes be stiff to use, and with this fabric it needed to be easier for little fingers, so I raided my vintage button box and dug out some military uniform buttons I’d got from the charity shop a year or so ago. The small ones were perfect! I’m really happy with how they look on the front of this jacket.
My long-list for April’s Burda Challenge sewing was fairly long, and I decided against just chopping it down randomly, rather by seeing what fabric I had and going that way. On that list were frequent referrences to “kid’s clothes” because the size range is right for my friend’s kids. This is the first of those projects to be made and there’ll be more! I need to get that fabric box emptied, and it’s nice to make clothes for kids, they’re usually much quicker and simpler than adult’s clothing.
Now I’m off to continue tracing the long list of patterns daughter no 2 would like made up for the summer – this summer! By the way, if you’d like to see her wishlist…
View this post on Instagram
Yesterday in my blog post I happened to mention that daughter no 2 had made me a long list of garments to sew for her. This is that list, in case you thought it was just 10 or so…. There are 62 items on this list! I guess I'm going to have to duplicate myself! 😀 . . #imustbemad #makeashorterlist #sewingaddict #isew #handmadewardrobe #Burdastyle
Follow the link to see the whole post, this just shows a part of it! 🙂