The fourth, and most definitely not the last version of this top, Burda 105 from February 2016. This is the result of a nice big stash bust! In moving fabric from the original stash position in my bedroom cupboard, to it’s new home in the guest room cupboard (until it has a “permanent” home in the sewing room), I came across this gorgeous metallic silver embroidered linen. I bought it in 2009 to make a corset. Needless to say the corset has never seen the light of day, but I did have a decent amount of the fabric left-over to be useful.
Combined with a small piece of cream linen from the scrapbox, which thankfully matched the embroidery, this top was born! I think I might be able to make these in my sleep now. I wish I could, at any rate! Sewing in your sleep while still a. producing something wearable, and b. getting much needed rest would be a super power I could deal with. The metallic linen is sturdier than the cream, because of the metallic finish and the embroidery. This gives the top a more boxy shape than any of the other versions, which I quite like. I love wearing it with my Birkin Flares.
I’ve had many comments on the top, it’s not often you see a lovely fabric like this. I am concerned that the metallic finish might wash off (given the rotation it’s currently enjoying in my wardrobe, this is a major worry!), so I’m washing on a handwash cycle in the machine for now. It doesn’t like the iron, so needs to be pressed on the reverse.
I had to cut the back without a fold and meant to use a centre seam, but in the cutting out, because I hadn’t marked that it still needed seam, I cut along the back edge. Clever… However, because the fabric was to be a corset and I still had all the bits left over, I had a pile of cut and pressed self bias binding. So using a 5mm seam on each back piece, a bias strip now forms the centre back. It looks like it’s supposed to be there on the outside, so I’m not complaining. So another successful stashbust for me!