When a Door Closes, Open a Window!

While I haven’t made something from this year’s January Burda, I have finally made something I’d marked from the 2012 January!  Yippee!  It always wanted the right fabric, and I never really had it.  Technically, the “right fabric” this time was intended for another pair of trousers, but as it happened to be out and available and spotted just in time, it’s now a top!

121_tech_dwg_large
Technical drawing for top 121 01/2012

After listing all my options a few days ago, I thought I might as well start with toiling this pattern, as it was already traced out.  I ran it up in a piece of viscose I’d got from a charity shop for toiling purposes.  The fabric told me it was too soft and drapey for this particular top, the toile told me it was way too long!!  I didn’t want a tunic/short dress, I wanted a top!

collage windowpane
Top 121 January 2012

So I shortened the pattern by 11 cm, added length in the front for bust and a small dart to sort the side seam.  I had traced the 44, and it has just the right amount of volume for me, so that length and little dart were all I needed for a FBA, no width needed.  The original pattern has an exposed zip in the back seam and the front is plain, this wouldn’t work for me.  I didn’t want a zip, exposed or otherwise, and needed more detail on the front.  I also prefer not to have too high a neckline, so fiddled around a little, dropping the front neckline a bit and adding a front opening.  It’s just a little detail that makes it more wearable for me.

window 4
You can just see the sleeve dart here, it’s not a narrow sleeve!
window 3
More sleeve dart – The back and sleeve pattern piece is rather large.

The fabric I used in the end is a navy and grey windowpane worsted wool suiting I bought in November from Fabworks.  It’s quite lightweight, and as a pair of trousers it would have had to have been lined.  Luckily, as a top, it’s just fine!  The top doesn’t have hems, you cut facings for the sleeves, front and back.  I interfaced these with a polyester fine sheer fusible for a bit more stability.

window 2

window 7

I really like how the top has turned out, the back and sleeves are cut in one, so make sure your fabric is wide enough to cope!  The odd shaped pieces meant pattern matching was going to be tricky, so I opted for matching the side seams and left the rest to fall where they may.  The large dart in the sleeve narrows the width nicely at the wrist.  I like the curved hemline, and the new length is pretty perfect.

window 6

Now I have plans to make another item from the list.  I said in the review of last year’s sewing that I need a few more tops to go with all the new trousers I’d made, so it will be another top – and I want to use up some of the viscose pieces I have in the stash.  So, I will be tracing Blouse 114 from January 2016, I need my sleeve kick!!

window 1

That’s round one of the #Burdachallenge2018 done, what’s on your list to make??

Author: Anne W

I love fabric, and sewing. And I could do nothing else but sew, all day, every day, if I could!

19 thoughts on “When a Door Closes, Open a Window!”

  1. Ooo, this is very nice indeed! I also love the front opening on this, I think it complements the top better than a back zip.
    I might just start work on 2/18 – pr any of the three dozen other plans I have

    1. The February issue looks very promising, can’t wait to pick mine up! I think I definitely prefer the front detail on this, might make another in linen and pick out the front in some way.

  2. This style looks fabulous in the windowpane check! I really like the length you decided upon too. The sleeve dart detail is one to remember – I don’t particularly like wide cuffs, and this is a nice way of tapering them on a wide sleeve!

  3. Love this top Anne! Interesting how the different trousers pick up different things in the top, with all looking great. Must remember that trick with a sleeve dart. Thanks for more great ideas for modifications!

  4. I have the very same fabric and was also thinking of trousers. It’s great to see it made up into a garment.
    Smart looking top.

    1. It frays like mad!! I started sewing then overlocking, then realised it was the wrong way round. But yes, it would have made good trousers, but I think it’s made a better top! 🙂

    1. Makes a chanage to use something for a different purpose! Now I need to figure out what to do with the remaining bit of just under a metre!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s