Here’s another of those fabulous, “make me more than once” patterns. I posted a whole pile of my own tried & tested Burda patterns last month, this is definitely another, but for the girls this time. I have used this pattern, which comes as a petite in the magazine, five times now, all successfully.
The pattern is Style 123 from Burdastyle magazine, June 2011. Daughter No1 is the lucky recipient of this particular pair, and I used the pattern in the petite format, making them an extra 2cm shorter. I think the German ladies these patterns are designed for must have really long legs. When I made this pattern for Daughter No2, who is pretty tall, all I needed to do was to adjust the pattern for “normal” height. I had thought I’d need to lengthen it again for a “tall” person, but the length was just right. However, for Daughter No1, whose legs are a fair bit shorter, I actually needed to shorten the pattern some more! I took those extra 2cm out of between the kneeline and the hem.
Looking at the photos now, I think I’ll be taking them in a little more from just below the crotch line to the hem, they are a little too wide on her legs. I made the 17, which would equate to the 34 in the ordinary sizes. The fabric is pretty cool. I’d seen it on the Stitch Fabrics website, labelled as Prada twill and wanted it! It is a cotton/lycra blend, but hasn’t got so much lycra that it gets all stretchy out of shape. Originally it was going to be a jacket for me, but the beige is too – well, beige! 🙂
I offered it to Daughter No1 for trousers & she was definitely in agreement. It was she who suggested using this pattern as she loves the last pair I made in a black & white mini-houndstooth. I used a black grossgrain ribbon in the centre of the waistband. I love the way it looks like a belt, but it also serves a practical purpose. As the fabric has stretch, this stops the waistband getting sloppy through the day.
I used a hook & bar closing instead of a button, it makes for a smoother finish. The insides were all overlocked before I started sewing, and boy did that make me sneeze! There was so much fluff! I also used a stretch needle. I have found that with fabrics with a certain amount of lycra or elastene, that a normal needle leaves holes. I used a stretch 75/11 for these trousers. Overall I am happy with this make, I will go back and taper the legs a bit more but I love the print, it’s perfect for trousers!
I also think this makes a good entry for the Monthly Stitch Sewing Double… Here are the other versions:
For the Love of Hibiscus, made for Daughter No2;
I Love it! Vintage style Trousers, Daughter No1’s first pair;
Vintage Style Spotty Trousers, made for Daughter No2;
Vintage Style Cropped Trousers, the first pair I made.
Now I have to cut out some pretty silk, for my next “Sewing Double” instalment! 🙂