Well, it’s been a while, hasn’t it? In this topsy turvy year, not much sewing is happening, and what is isn’t always big-time blog worthy. Not that I don’t want to show you everything, but once you’ve seen 3 or 4 LBPullovers, how many more do you really need? So yes, I’ve been sewing, and no, it’s not all made it on here. Except for this top. This deserves a blog post all of its own.
Earlier this year, after seeing someone post on Instagram about her new delivery of Japanese sewing books, I ordered Sweet Clothes, by Asuka Hamada from my favoutite Etsy book seller. It arrived well within a week and was devoured pretty quickly. Some patterns are definitely not me, or the girls, but others have massive potential. Potential that was not fulfilled until this month. On reclaiming my sewing room just over a week ago, I made a short list of projects I’d like to have done by the end of the month (today), and included a toile of one of the tops in the book. The pattern is for Top E, a simple boxy bodice with 3/4 quarter sleeves, gathered into a narrow cuff, with a bias finished boat neckline.
I’d traced sizes 1 & 2 and decided to go with the 2 for me, the finished width looked ok, so I went for it. The only thing I needed to change was the neckline in the front, it was strangling me! Amazingly I decided I didin’t need a FBA, the length was perfect and I was happy with the fit around the bust. Now this is just me, someone else might prefer more ease and so add an FBA. I prefer not to drown in nice big sleeves ans well as bodice fabric. And these sleeves are very nice and very big!
The sleeves were so wide I needed to cut them on the cross grain to fit them onto the fabric! They are gathered at the cuff into a narrow band that should be elasticated, but I did away with that as the cuffs fit me just fine. It’s all that digging on the allotment, I have muscular forearms! After lowering the front neckline 4cm I started cutting. It was the fabric that dictated I use this pattern, by the way. It was a purchase from last year, from one of those deadstock websites, but I cannot remember which, and I doubt they still have any. I was taken by the swirls of black white and grey, and the 100% cotton tag, but when it arrived, it proved to be much lighter in weight than I’d expected. I was going to make a jumpsuit with it.. But this is cotton voile, definitely not jumpsuit material!
The insides are all French seamed and the hem double turned. You finish the neckline first, before doing any other sewing, I guess it makes sure it doesn’t get stretched out. There’s no interfacing anywhere, and if you leave out the elastic at the cuff, it’s a very quick make. I absolutely love this top and I know I will get a lot of wear out of it. It looks fabulous with the copper/rust/cinnamon colours in my autumn/winter wardrobe and I think it’ll do nicely with jeans too. Apart from the sleeves, this is not a fabric hungry pattern, so of the 3m of fabric originally bought, there’s a bit left. So I thought I might make the Olya Shirt from Paper Theory…
9 thoughts on “Clouds & Smoke”
Stunning top! WAY TO GOOOOOO!!!!
Thank so much! It’s all the fabric’s fault!
That’s awesome, what a great print! So stylish. I wouldn’t have thought to put it with the warmer coloured trousers but it looks great.
I have developed a habit of putting chetnut/rust/copper with black and grey, or even blue and white! Looks yummy.
Fabulous print, great blouse, and I’m going to look at that book seller now 🙂
I’ve bought so many books from her…….