I have been making progress with the sewing for everyone, mostly tracing patterns and toiling so far, but I have one decision made. The trousers 115 from May Burda 2019 were pronounced the “wrong thing” for both daughters, after I’d traced and toiled the pattern, but before any of them had managed to try on the toile! Anyway, I still like the look, so quickly “tried on” the 36 – by which I mean I put one leg in to see where the length got me – and decided to shorten the pattern in the leg by 3cm to get the hem where it hits the model, and cut what I very much hope is a wearable toile for myself!
The fabric is a piece of wool I found in a charity shop locally last year, grey with hints of pale blue in a windowpane check. Fingers crossed now! Based on the fact that I’m still taking in my trousers made before in size 44, I’ve taken a risk and gone for the 42 this time. Now I really need those fingers to be crossed.
I made a certain attempt to get the checks to line up, if I really am going to be able to wear these, I’d prefer it for the stripes and checks to at least attempt to match! The instructions were only slightly ignored – well, I didn’t ignore them, but I did re-organise them. The darts and pleats and pockets were constructed as per instructions, but I changed the front opening details a bit. Only because it’s tricky doing all that work with extra trouser pieces hanging around, so I left off the back pieces. The instructions for actually constructing the button fly are dead easy, it all goes together in the absolutely right way.
I sewed the straight part of the back seam next, and added the back waistband. Then the front pieces got their waistbands and the out and in-seams were sewn. Finally I finished the crotch seam and, with many fingers crossed, put my new pants on. oooo, did I need to breath in!!! Just goes to show when you get cocky, the sewing fairies bite back! 🙂 I might be taking my size 44 trousers in all over the pace, but with this particular style, I am not yet ready for the size 42….
Thank heavens for that side seam sewn all in one with the waistband! I hadn’t sewn the inner waistband down yet, so all I did was change the seam allowance to a mere 5mm on the waistband, and graded/tapered that new seamline into the original line by about 10cm below the pocket. They’re more comfortable to put on and pin shut now, and I recon when I put them on in the morning, they’ll feel even better! Of course, the checks lined up so beautifully with the 1.5cm seam, and now things are a little off.
This fabric has no movement in it, so no stretching during the day. I think I might get away with wearing this pair, I will definitely need to trace the 44 from around 10cm below the hipline up to the waistline, and there needs to be a slight adjustment done in the back, there are some draglines under the bum that will need to be fixed for the final pair. But these are useable… I have buttons that are suitable, so just need to get that waistband finished off, make buttonholes and get the hem done. But what fabric to make the final pair in?
In other scrapbusting and stashbusting news, I have finally done something useful with a bit of cross-stitch embroidery I did, around 2 years ago. I’d wanted to do something with it, but wasn’t sure what, or how. I didn’t fancy a picture, mounted and framed. Last week I had a brainwave – raid the silks box for brightly coloured bits of dupion silk and make a patchwork of sorts. Then make it into a cushion cover. I started by deciding how big the final embroidery piece would be, then worked out the strips of different colours based on the overall size of the cushion. I wanted asymmetry with the piece, but not massivly so. So the strips of silk on the left are slightly wider than the one of the right, and the strips on the top are deeper than that on the bottom. I love the combination of silks, they pick out the colours of the blue tits and blossoms really well. It’ll be going to Daughter No2 to brighten up her living room.