I’ve finished my new coat, and I’m seriously in love!! Now that it’s all finished, I can’t believe I’ve taken so long to make this pattern, it’s wonderful! I bought the Pepernoot Coat pattern from Waffle Patterns when it first came out – which is some years ago now – and really, I could have had a few in my wardrobe by now. I think an unlined denim version, made from old jeans would have been fabulous for the summer here in the UK! (Might have to make that happen…)
So, you’ve seen most of the Work in Progress, and gone through the adjustments I’ve made already, so this is just to finish off and show off! As said already, the fabric is cashmere, originally from Truro Fabrics. I eventually chose the mustard gold lining from The Lining Company for the inside, and it was the perfect choice! I ended up cutting it on the cross grain to get the richness of the gold colour, the straight grain was just a bit too “meh” for what I was after!
Now, let’s talk pockets… This pattern comes with a very cool, large pair of pockets on the front skirt of the coat. They’re supposed to have a zippered opening/closing, but I left that out. I’m not a big fan of scratchy zips on my hands, especially in the wintertime! So I knew I was going to make welts, and having decided to copy the welts on my Seasalt coat, I can say that it’s worked better than I could have hoped for. The overlapping welts “hug” your wrist once your hand is in the pocket, not letting any draft in there! Warm, snuggly pockets! Can you get any better?
I sewed the inner hood pieces with the “wrong” side of the fabric out – it’s a lighter shade of grey to the outside and I like the contrast. Mr W thinks I should have cut the facings the same way round, but I disagree. I like it this way! And the hood is just right, big enough to go fully over your head without flopping over your eyes, like some I know… I’ve worn this coat loads since finishing it, it’s just so comfortable and the fabric so soft!
So there you have it, this is officially my new favourite coat, until I make another! The adjustments I’ve made were simple ones, a small FBA sorted the front out to hang straight, and I added a small amount to the seam allowance of the armhole in the front to stop the dragging there, and inserted decent tailor’s felt shoulder pads. Without the shoulder pads the armhole was just too deep. The minute I put the pads in, the whole thing looked and felt a whole lot better. I love how this feels on, it’s just great to wear.