My terracotta journey continues! The guys at Rainbow Fabrics must have thought I was going mad last year when my order consisted of terracotta coloured everything: linen, brushed cotton twill, viscose woven and viscose jersey! They’re all slightly different shades, but essentially will fulfill my desire for a neutral with pop. On ordering the viscose jersey, I already knew exactly what I would be making – and that’s the only piece of fabric that had a definite plan!
A few years ago, probably more than I’d like to think, I made a pattern for a cowl drape tee, from my own tee block. Unfortunately I have none of the original notes or experiment pattern pieces, but I did find that the instructions that yeilded the best pattern actually came from a menswear pattern drafting book! Now, I’ve never seen a guy wearing a cowl drape tee, and I’m not sure it’s an image that sits gently on the mind…. Although maybe if it’s a high cowl – but not as deep as mine! (apparently, men’s cowl neck tees are a thing!!)
According to the notes on the front piece of my pattern, this is version 3. I seem to remember trying out different cowl depths to get it just right, but that was for the stable knit I was going to be using, this is going to be different! The original tee is made from a stable knit and has three quarter length sleeves. This time I wanted long sleeves, that’s an easy adjustment. I knew the fibre content of the jersey would have a big impact on the look of the drape, and I was quite excited to get on and make and wear it!
I am completely in love with the result! The colour is better than I’d imagined, even with similarly coloured hair! I’d always avoided the “autumn” colour pallette, because I
can’t couldn’t stand orange (or any of the other warm shades). But I have to admit, this works, although you won’t see me embracing orange-orange just yet! (or yellow…) Mind officially blown guys. The jersey is just devine, it fells like silk! Knowing how drapey viscose jersey is, I reinforced the shoulder seams with vilene bias tape, and extended that courtesy to the back neckline too. It was made on the overlocker, using the twin needle on the sewing machine for hems.
Now I’m off to wear my new tee with everything, I just hope it’s not a pain to iron….