First time out with these, standing in the queue waiting to pay for her handful of Creme Eggs the trousers have been noticed. These are the trousers that shouldn’t have been – just a quick toile, you know. I had this fabric in my stash, I’m pretty sure it’s a hand painted/blocked piece, all cotton. I think someone was going to make a quilt with it as it had a seam up the middle and I did think I could finish that off, but I don’t do quilts.
I do do trousers. I was toiling style number 110 from BurdaStyle November 2013, the pattern I used for the Monthly Stitch’s Smarty Pants month of February. Once Daughter No2 had them on, she decided she rather liked the mad print & asked me if they could be made “wearable”. I raised my eyebrows and looked askance at her -“Seriously?”
Oh, she was serious alright! Sure, no problem.. They got shoved in the cupboard because I had other things to be getting on with at the time. All they needed was all the seams neatening, (because who neatens seams on a toile?) a fly zip insertion (ever done one of those when the trousers are pretty much finished already?) an inner waistband & interfacing & the hem and cuffs turned up & stitched.
I decided to do it today. I wanted a quick job… Well, they’re done now & as usual, she loves them! I keep seeing all the things I would never do on a “proper” pair, the pattern doesn’t line up from the trouser front onto the waistband, the front legs have a different part of pattern to the backs, the pattern doesn’t line up from the fronts onto the hip yoke pockets either & the centre front is slightly off pattern centre. These things would bug the hell out of me if they were mine, but she seems fine with it all!
Would you wear madly printed trousers like this? They’re definitely not in my wardrobe comfort zone, but this would be a very boring world if we all dressed the same, wouldn’t it?
Now I have my fourth Bellatrix Blazer to finish off – you’ll see a familiar fabric as the lining.
Happy Mother’s Day to all those who celebrate today!
I have decided to delegate the Smarty Pants to Daughter No2. I mean, she looks so smart in these pants, so why not!? These are the trousers mentioned in my previous post, no 110 from Burdastyle 11/2013 in a damson coloured stretch cotton satin from Croft Mill Fabric. I originally over-ordered the fabric to ensure I had enough for a pair of trousers as well as a vintage dress which I need to turn into a coat/mac. I haven’t got round to doing the alterations necessary for the coat but Daughter No2 was desperate for these trousers. So I gave in & cut, anyway, I can always buy more fabric, can’t I?
The pattern is great. Daughter no2 seem made for the shape of Burda trousers, including the length! I always have to lop 5-6cm off for myself, but they are just right on my little giraffe. She’s 174.5cm tall, so generally we have a problem with shop trousers being waaay too short – which is why I make them instead. The fabric behaved perfectly, it irons like a dream & has enough, but not too much, stretch. I took in the side seams (making the 34) 5mm each, so effctively narrowing the pants – from the hip – 2cm each. She felt they were a little baggy before.
I overlocked everything before starting sewing & hand stitched the hem in place. The button & zip are from my stash. As you can see, she’s pretty chuffed with them! This outfit is completely handmade. The top is a vintage Simplicity pattern I made last year (see my Vintage Belle blog for details) & the swing jacket is what I made for my Jungle January project in 2013. As it’s half term here in the UK this week, she’s taken a day out from studying & masses of 6th form homework to go out with her friends, & this is what she went in!
It’s not even that cold today, & thankfully no rain is forecast either! But, rain or shine, I must get on with my own trousers. I have some gorgeous caramel coloured linen from Ditto Fabrics that’s just begging to be used & a whole pile of patterns needing to be traced!