The Plantain

Deer & Doe Plantain
Deer & Doe Plantain

I’d been meaning to make a whole bunch of Plantain tees for the girls since I downloaded the free pattern in the summer but it kept getting pushed down the make it pile in favour of more interesting stuff!  I did make one for myself – a sort of wearable toile.

I like the overall pattern, the shape is cool, with just enough flare on the lower edge – but…  I don’t like the neckline.  The scoop is just a little too low for me, makes me feel all exposed and uncomfortable.  Daughter No has a bought tee with a similar neckline so I thought I’d finally make one for her.

The fabric is a purple/burgundy jersey I got a fair bit of in the swap at the SewBrum meet.  It had belonged to Claire and was about 4 metres worth!  I used the remnants of a striped jersey bought at Guthrie & Ghani for another Day to Night Drape top for Daughter No1 for the elbow patches.  (The top is made, but I have no photos of her in it yet.)

Daughter No2 opted for the 3/4 sleeve and definitely wanted the elbow patches, thank you very much!  This is such a quick top to make, run up on the overlocker and needing the sewing machine only for applying the patches, hemming with a twin needle and top stitching the neck binding, it takes about an hour.  (Not counting cutting out)

plantain collage

I should have known to adjust the shoulders for her, but that’s the only necessary adjustment.  I still think the neckline is a little too low though.  Any thoughts on this? If you’ve made a Plantain (or two) how do you feel about the neckline?  Those elbow patches are also not quite on the elbow, they need to come down a few centimetres.

DSC00177-1

I love the colour of this jersey, and the weight.  This is the sort you want have unlimited access to, great drape and texture.  I have enough to make a few more tops, but I don’t want to waste anything so I’ll try to be certain before I cut!

DSC00176-1

It was a little nippy out when we took these photos on Saturday afternoon, I was so hoping to have the vintage jacket in the orange twill done as well, but I’d had too many interruptions.  It was finished by Sunday afternoon, but as luck would have it, too late for decent photographs.  That’s the one thing that’s annoying about winter, lack of sunshine!

I have a skirt pattern for the plaid from Pendle Stitches & made the toile today.  Daughter No2 picked 120 from Burdastyle Magazine 07/2012.  I toiled it today & apart from a minor adjustment at the hip and her desire for it to be 4cm shorter & pegged about 4cm narrower at the hem, it’s fine.  Tomorrow I’ll get the lining and make the skirt.  I still need to find the right pattern for the butterfly print satin, the blouse pattern I’d chosen was not approved….