Here we go, the Knot Dress has a new image! Imagine the difference there would be if this were made in a plain linen… Perhaps that’s the next job. So, here it is – made up in the Liberty Tana Lawn I bought yesterday at Fred Winter in Stratford. What do we think??
I used French seams throughout, there is an invisible zip in the centre back seam and I bound the neck and armhole edges with self-bias. I turned in 5mm on the hem before turning up 3cm, and machine stitched. It was actually easier making this version than the toile, simply because the fabric was so much less bulky. I like the little tucks in the back. There are two 5cm long tucks to catch in the bulk of the fabric and stop it from being too tent-like. I am glad I removed the extra fullness in the centre front, it definitely wasn’t needed.
I encourage you to give it a go if you are so inclined, the pattern wasn’t hard to draft. There are lots of little things to do on it, so just keep focus otherwise you will lose your place! Overall, I am really pleased, as is daughter no 2!
I have finally got the bodice blocks drafted and adjusted. This morning, with the damp and dreary conditions outside, I decided would be the day – the Magic day! I have adapted bodice blocks drafted from Winnifred Aldrich to the style of the block in Pattern Magic. Now I am having a brilliant an interesting time playing with the adaptations. I really want to get the toile finished by school pick up time!! Here are some pics of the patternwork in progress today.
Front is marked up with the pleat and the slash lines, just needs the skirt for the dress.
Skirt added, lines slashed and armhole dart closed. There is an 8cm gap between all the slash points.
Just look at the size of that monster! I recon this is going to take quite a bit of calico.
So now I just need to figure out how it all goes together. Hopefully the toile plays ball and there will be more photos later.
*** UPDATE ***
Toile complete! I altered the pattern slightly, leaving off the pleat in the front, and adding a 6cm flare instead. I think I might just leave this off too, as the front is wide enough!
Daughter no 2 likes the style, but wants it more fitted in this weight fabric. So I was thinking of making it in linen… I will have to make it more fitted to the waist if I do it in linen, but apparently it won’t “be so bad” if I use a floaty fabric. I just may have something in my stash.
I guess I am off to source some suitable fabric now!