Thank you all so much for the fabulous, positive comments about Veronica! This is one cool skirt pattern, and this is one cool skirt! So cool, we needed another. 😉
The fabric is from my stash, a John Kaldor print on stretch cotton sateen. I’d bought it for trousers for myself about 3-4 years ago, but then Daughter no1 bagged it for something for her. We never got round to choosing exactly what to make with it, it’s always tricky cutting into nice fabric when you’re not 100% sure of what you’re wanting. This week I finally made her some trousers from a Burdastyle mag (which she loves!), and had enough left over for something else. This skirt, for example!
What can I say, I love this print in this skirt, & I love it even more with the black biker jacket & wedges!
I didn’t match any patterns, with only 1m left over there was no way of doing it, besides, I kinda like the way the pattern gets chopped up & re-assembled. It’s a bit subversive, isn’t it?
I hope you’re all getting ready for the tutorial on how to make your own version of this, and of Barbara. I have been working on 1/4 scale versions of the pattern, hopefully next week it will all be ready to post. I leave you with one final look at the funky pockets & buttons.
In the mean time, I need to crack on with a new outfit to wear to the Mercedes Benz Club’s annual SL Day next weekend. Typical I decide I want something new to wear with only days to spare….
After a 24 mile round trip I have a red invisible zip, and now a completed dress! I am also definitely ordering a stock of zips from Jaycotts. I paid £3.90 for a 52cm long invisible zip! That’s madness!! Anyway, rant over, here’s the completed dress, and a happy Daughter No2 in the sunshine to show it off.
The panels work really well, tailoring the bodice to her shape. The stretch cotton has a tendence to, well, stretch. So the lining is a stretch cotton poplin, with much less movement to keep the whole thing together.
The back was kept simple. There is just one seam, I really don’t think it needed any more than that.
For some extra info, this dress was cut from the 2-piece dress block (from Winnifred Aldrich’s Metric Pattern Cutting) and adapted to the sleeveless block.
Next time we’ll have more fabric to play with, and will make a fuller skirt. For now though, Daughter No2 is very happy with her new dress. Will the weather gods please let us have some sun so she can wear it??
Oh boy, I’ve not been good at updating, have I? 1 000 apologies. I even missed a milestone! This little blog was one whole year old on the 27th June! I missed it. 😦
So here’s what I’m working on for Daughter No2 at the moment. It’s not a pincushion, or a totebag. It’s a dress! YAY! We’d seen this dress on Modcloth over a year ago, and liked the panels on the bodice, so we pinned it for future reference. I managed finally to get the pattern cut last weekend, and got to make the toiles this weekend!
Here’s what the bodice section looks like in a plain fabric:
And here’s the nice stuff all cut out and ready for tailor tacking! I really hope to get it made up tomorrow, so fingers crossed there are no visitors! 😀 The fabric is a John Kaldor stretch cotton sateen print in red and white that I bought in Derby from Tatler Fabrics. I only had 1.5m, so the skirt on this dress will just be a simple A-line, rather than anything fuller. But I have a feeling I might be making more than one version of this, so stick around to see variations on the skirt.
And a close-up of all those bodice panel pieces….
So I’ll see you tomorrow with the finished garment and someone with a biiig grin on her face! Let’s just hope it isn’t raining for the photos..