It’s harder to find misses than it is to find hits! But it seems they’re all my projects, and they’re not Burda patterns….
The first one is the jumpsuit I made in the summer. This was sort of a wearable toile. I had toiled it, made adjustments to the leg length and graded between sizes for the hip-waist-bust areas. I used a 3m length of border printed viscose. I haven’t even blogged these, never managed to get photos, which is a shame. They’re good, but still need many adjustments, not least of which is to shorten the crotch depth and lift the point of the v neck. I also need to find a lightweight invisible zip. The one I used is too stiff really for viscose. However, it was super cool and comfy to wear in the long hot summer we had this year. I hope I’ll be able to make the pattern again next summer and fix the issues this jumpsuit has.
This top had various issues, I’d self drafted a copy of a top in one of the Kana’s Standard books, and initially I thought it was good, but on wearing more, the neckline is too wide (I did that on purpose, but it’s not right) and it’s just a little too billowy at the hem. I’ve put it aside to recut and reuse in some way.
Another attempt at a copy of a Japanese pattern was this top, I’d used a Burda pattern and altered it to get the flare. But it was too long and too flared and I wasn’t all that comfortable in it. The colour’s not quite right either, it’s a beautiful viscose in a silvery grey, but I think it needs to be darker. It’s joined the above top to be sorted, but I’ve yet to get to it.
It seems that the issues were to be had with me trying shapes I don’t usually wear, and finding those a little “not me”. They’re not disasters by any means, and can be fixed in some way.
Gosh, the end of another year – how do I decide on just 5 here? Especially as I have yet to blog all the projects I finished… I’m joining Gillian on the round up of projects for 2018.
I’m not going to rank my favourite projects, but I am going to start with this, the paprika linen wide leg Burda trousers I made in June. They sort of top the list because it’s the first time I’ve made myself anything that is this colourful! I already knew the pattern would work, I’ve made it a fair few times. But the colour!! It’s worked so well with everything, and I found myself looking for them as soon as they were washed to wear again!
I’m going to say the next best thing was the windowpane wool culottes I made daughter no1 in the Autumn. She just loved them and has apparently worn them every week! The fit is great on them and the colours work brilliantly with the rest of her wardrobe. Actually, that pink-copper trench would look fabulous with those culottes! The warm tones would just be great together.
Staying with the girls, Daughter No 2 says her top make was the linen stripey shorts, she can’t wait for the summer again to be able to wear them to death. She’s also put her blue and white linen shirt dress up for consideration. She loves that it can be both a dress and a jacket. And that she has worn quite a bit.
The last project is one that really isn’t just one. Rather, it’s a pattern. I’ve made a good number of Toaster Sweaters since November last year, and it’s been the one most requested whenever the girls decide they “need” another warm top for cold weather! I’ve actually made them each another one for Christmas.
We had such beautiful colours on the climbers on the front of the house. They were gone by the next weekend.
I’ve made so many good things this year that it’s tricky to choose just 5, but I think these are a good selection! I’ll now try to decide on which projects didn’t quite live up to expectations.