This project is a brilliant stash-bust! You know when you buy a piece of fabric that you just know can only be used for the perfect project. It’s that piece that may not necessarily have cost a lot of money, but it’s valuable, non the less. I have a couple of those, and this last week I finally used one! It’s a piece of ivory silk satin with grey, black and putty coloured spots. I recon I bought it at least 10 years ago, probably from Rosenberg & Son!
I regularly haul it out of the silk box, pat it, promise it a pattern one day, and return it to the darkness. But it’s been out of the box since the Autumn, I was determined to find something! And that something is Blouse 114 from Burdastyle January 2016. The red version I made a couple of weeks ago has been a welcome addition to my wardrobe, I love the sleeves and the overall feel of the top. So I went for it!
I added 3cm to the length of the original version, which followed the length for version A in the magazine. I also changed the hem depth to 2 cm so it would be easier to double fold. The slit in the centre front was lifted 3cm and I’m much more comfortable with that. Then I added 2cm to the bust depth, inserting a small dart in the side seam to keep the shape and length even. It’s worked pretty well, and for some reason feels roomier, width-ways, than the red top!
It feels amazing to wear, the silk is just so drapey and lovely. The seams are all French seams so there’s no fraying, and that stuff did fray! I hand stitched the bias binding to the inside of the neckline. I figured that was one place I could do without wobbly visible stitching, and if there was a place my stitching would wobble, it would be there!
So that’s it for the January edition of the Burda challenge 2018, I have my sticky little paws on the February edition already (recon my phone calls to the manager of my local WHSmiths must have lit a bit of a fire under her chair) and have grand plans!!! I also have loads of knickers to finish… phew.
Hila has done a round up of some of the challenge projects done so far in January, go and take a look, and join in if you like!