That feeling in the middle of August that you get when you realise summer is almost over (noooooo) and you really ought to be making more of an effort with the next season’s stuff, but still have a long list of summer things…. I’ve decided to trim that list right down to the stuff that will still work going into September -praying for an Indian sumer here- and will last into Autumn before the frosts come. Or even after that, with the helpful additions of tights, boots and a warmer jumper.
Enter the skirt 113 from the June issue of Burda 2019. Daughter No2 fell for it immediately, but we didn’t have a suitable 3m of stashed fabric, so it waited a bit, until we were in Fancy Silks in Birmingham about 3 weeks ago (on the heatwave day!) and she spotted the perfect fabric. Cotton poplin, navy ground with yellow-orange anthirium leaf print. It certainly has an eye-catching colour scheme, and she loved it. We bought the last 3m on the roll at £5 a metre and it went into the washing machine as soon as I got home after being broiled alive on the train!
I made the 36, which is the smallest size. Her waist measurement is actually closer to the 34, but with this style of skirt she’ll always be wearing something tucked in, and so wants a bit more room for comfort. Making the skirt up is pretty easy, it consists of a back, cut on the fold, waistband, pockets (it has in-seam pockets) and the front pieces. The reason for needing 3m is that the front piece is too wide to cut on folded fabric, you need to cut them seperately, which adds to the length required. The waistband and buttonstand on the front skirt are interfaced for stability. I made no changes to the pattern at all, apart from omitting the belt.
Buttons are from the stash, the only dark blue ones of suitable size I had, thankfully. The local haberdashery closed last year and the closest is 5 miles away, and doesn’t have an interesting supply of buttons. There is enough fabric left to make a small top, something along the lines of an Ogden cami. I have suggested that to her, but not making it full length. I think a cropped Ogden will look pretty good with this skirt, all in the same fabric.
I broke my “please don’t buy any more fabric” ban last month. There I was innocently catching up on my blog reading when I came across a rather delicious looking pair of culottes in the most amazing colour by SewManju. The colour was exactly what I’d been looking for all year, and linen to boot! After asking which fabric shop she’d managed to find that beautiful fabric – and getting a reply – I managed to snaffle the last 3m!
And I’m a very happy sewist-bunny, this was just the colour I was missing for my palette for this summer (and many to come). It was instantly washed, dried and ironed, ready for cutting. I decided not to faff around with different patterns, but to make another pair of cropped wide legged trousers using pattern 102 from Burda 05/2017. I already have two summer pairs, and another two in winter fabrics. It’s a pattern I can make in an afternoon – so I did!
Usually I make the pocket bag linings from a contrasting fabric, something from the scrap box. Then I use that same fabric for the waistband facings. But the fabric I really wanted to use was only enough for the facings, so the pockets are all just linen. The waistband facings are in a pale greyish blue and white flower print Liberty poplin. Only tiny bits of that left in the scrap box now! The buttons for the pocket detail are vintage ones found in the depths of the button box.
I truly, deeply, LOVE the colour! It goes with everything else I have, navy tees, white and black and grey tops, all done! So far I’ve only had a couple of cardigans in this shade of paprika/rust/cinnamon/copper. It’s really hard to put a lable on it! So, even though I had two cardigans in the right colour, I decided I needed another “top half”. And I had just the right pattern for the linen left after cutting the trousers.
I decided to make a pattern up from the Kana’s Standard II book, the jacket “A9”. I’ll show it to you soon, it’s just been way too hot for another layer….
So that’s another project for this year’s Burda Challenge, and a huge thank you to SewManju for helping me to accquire this perfect fabric <3<3