I’ve been sewing up a storm – all the fabric bought from Fabworks has been made up! This is the last piece, a really nice jersey, although I’d call it a knit rather. I had thought it would make a fab tee, loved the colours and digital type print. When it arrived I realised it was thicker and weightier than I had pictured. I’ve still made a tee-shirt, but this will be more of a cooler weather tee than a hot weather one! I am most definitely counting it towards part of my Sew Seasonal Wardrobe.
I reverted to the Maria Denmark Birgitte tee, v-neck with three quarter sleeves. These particular sleeves are 4cm shorter than the pattern and 3cm narrower at the cuff. I find the pattern as drafted is a little too wide at the cuff, and I prefer them a little shorter too. I really like this pattern as a quick make, the fit works for me.
I am sorry the fabric isn’t softer and drapier than I imagined. However, if you were thinking of making a cardi, in particular the Wendy Ward Longley cardi, you could definitely use this!
This summer looks like it will be made mostly in blue and white, which is no bad thing. My colours in general tend to be blue, black, grey, white and a bit of beige/camel/tan thrown in for warmth. They all go together well and remain pretty classic. I know some people will think it’s all a bit boring, but I like it! 🙂
One of the items in my huge pile of goodies to make this season was an idea to use up some of the smaller, left over pieces of jersey from my original Birgitte and the Tessuti Mandy top. I had in mind a sort of double layer tee, with bits of the under layer peeking out from the upper, but an investigation of the remaining bits of fabric showed there wasn’t enough for my plan. So I thought of something with a “yoke” instead.
I was really happy with the fit of the Maria Denmark Birgitte, so decided to use that as a basis for my fiddling. I went with the scoop neck nee this time, lifting the neckline by 5cm in order to create the yoke area. I had to keep in mind there wasn’t much of the ivory jersey left, so couldn’t go too deep. I ran the line across the sleeves and back, keeping it all straight. It does mean that actually, when worn, the line on the sleeves angles upwards, but I’m good with that. I paired the ivory jersey with the remaining stripe – I obviously forgot what that tiny stripe does to my eyes!! It has a lovely drape so I thought I’d use that in this tee. I flared the tee out at the sides by 5cm at the hem, creating a slight Plantain silhouette.
For the sleeves, I used the long sleeve from the Birgitte, but then shortened it to the 3/4 length. The reason why I ddn’t just use the 3/4 sleeve is the shape – the given pattern has a slight trumpet shape which I didn’t want this time. Just straight sleeves for this version.
I’m pretty happy with the result. I think I’ll take the sides of the scoop in more next time, possibly raise the back neckline by a couple of centimetres too, but these are not earth shattering alterations. I’ve worn this tee loads already and it’s really fitted in well with my current wardrobe. I have quite a few other tops to show off, somehow the sewing has completely taken over the reporting of the sewing! There are some tops I made back in September in a rush, fearing I wouldn’t be able to touch a sewing machine for ages after my wrist operation, like the last time. Thankfully a different surgeon has meant a totally different experience and I was back to sewing within a week!! Miracle! So stay tuned, there are more tops coming this way…