There’s a new colour in my wardrobe – and I think it’s here to stay. I made my first green item in 2019, a pair of linen Teddy Pants. They were followed by a pale green and white pair of Kana’s Standard pants and an LB Pullover in the same fabric, but that’s as far as that incursion went. Until this year… I fell in love with a Monstera print, olive green and ecru, and just had to have it! What would I make with it? Why another Olya Shirt – of course!
No pattern or fitting adjustments or changes from the last time, I’m pretty happy with the pattern on me. The only thing that would change would be how the fabric altered the finished look and shape of the shirt. So far my favourite is the black and white graphic print Olya, it’s soft but has body. The striped one is a fairly heavy viscose, so it hangs more. This viscose challis is soft and drapey and feels fabulous! I bought it from The Rag Shop at the end of May. Knowing that we’d be away for the last week, I asked that the shipping be held back so that the parcel would arrive after the May Bank Holiday. It worked, and I had pretty fabric to add to my holiday purchases on the wash line!
The fabric was lovely to work with, and I knew just what to pair it with on the bottom half! While in St Ives, I bought 2m of a cotton/linen blend, the colour is a pale beige – the result of two colours woven together, white and beige. It’s got body and no drape, but it is perfect for trousers. I decided on the Kew Pants from Style Arc. I’ve made then only once before and thought that this fabric would be great to hold the shape of the cocoon leg. I made the 14 this time, the waist of the 12 is just too snug.
I altered the angle of the front crotch line and curve, and took the inseam in by an extra cm, made the front look much better. The waist fits properly now and the cropped ankle length and width works better in the bigger size. The curved hem detail can be a little tricky to get nice looking on the inside. The pattern instructions have you simply fold under the seam allowance and topstitch in place, but it really isn’t a nice finish. I cut short pieces of off-white bias binding and used them instead, pressing in a tight curve first.
These are such cool pants, I love that they sit nicely on the waist and the rest is loose. The pockets are a good size, perfect for a phone, mask and card wallet! I rarely use a handbag these days, not needing cash means no need for a proper wallet, all I need is plastic. Pairing the black and white Olya with the black Kew Pants I made last year looks great, so I was keen on repeating that with these two projects.
I love these two items together, tucked in, tied in front or simply left loose, they’re comfy and good looking! Being beigey-cream, the trousers slot into my wardrobe perfectly. I love the addition of green in the wardrobe this summer, I have a RTW green and ecru tee bought in Padstow to add to the mix, and am planning a plain olive tee soon!
2 thoughts on “Cheesy Monster”
Love this fabric, Anne, and you’ve got the perfect combo with those trews! 💕
Thanks! I’ve loved these pants, must definitely make another pair!