Until last weekend – halfway through the month- not much sewing had been done in February, excluding a little coat toiling. I just haven’t been in the mood, and I was waiting for fabric to come to lift me out of my funk! At the end of January I ordered a whole pile of flower seeds, and 1.5m of poppy print viscose from Selvedge and Bolts. The fabric arrived a week later, the seeds took another week!
Anyway, the fabric on the website was super delicious, and I thought long and hard about whether or not I really need it. In the end, I decided on a pattern and ordered the 1.5m I needed, no extra! But when it came I was disappointed, to be perfectly honest. It had a shine I was not expecting – and, to be honest, I thought I’d bought viscose lining. I left it in my sewing room for a day or two before I could look at it properly, and then threw it in the wash, maybe that would make the finish better. It still has a sheen, that’s because it has a satin weave that I hadn’t bargained on. I really do need to order samples before spending my limited funds!!
In the end, the girls convinced me to make the top I’d planned, and then see how I felt. So I went ahead and cut out another version of the Top E from Asuka Hamada’s Sweet Clothes. This was the top I saw in my mind’s eye when I bought the fabric. As usual, I cut the sleeve on the cross grain to fit the width. I’ve used French seams throughout and double turned the hem. The cuffs and bias neck trim are stitched on the inside by hand. I did the bias by hand because I knew it would slip and slink around under the machine and drive me mad! Unfortunately, because of the nature of the fabric, you now see all the tiny catches made when stitching. I might just run it under the machine now anyway, can’t get any worse!
I still love the print, it’s so huge and gorgeous, but I am wondering now if a top with a smaller sleeve wouldn’t have been better…. Oh well, it’s too late now!! I am looking forward to wearing this with the rest of my wardrobe, and it’ll be lovely in the summer.
On the coat front, toiles are all done, alterations made and the cutting out and interfacing has started. I’ve not got that far, again, I’m just not in the mood, and that’s very unlike me! I’m thinking back to February last year and how worried we all were for my Dad who’d gone into hospital, and my Mum who was left holding and juggling all the balls. It’s the lead up to a not very good time, and I think deep down I’m struggling a little. I had hoped sewing would give me something else to focus on, especially as I cannot get into the garden yet and it’s a bit too early to sow too many of my new seeds! I’ll get there, but it will be much slower than usual.