In amongst all the quick fix projects and, of course, the Sewing Japanese in January, I have started work on a coat pattern. This particular coat pattern has been in the making queue for some time, at least 5 years! Every spring I commit to getting it made, and every autumn I put the fabric back in the cupboard, because I haven’t got round to it. But not this year. I have the pattern, and I have actually cut it out!!! Mind you only the pattern – let’s not get carried away! I’ve checked the measurements of the pattern against my measurements and have been looking at what adjustments will be needed.
So, what am I going to make? I have a length of blue and white cotton jacquard that the girls bought me for Mother’s Day ages ago, I just fell in love with it. Then, in 2016 I saw a coat that Stephanie from Sea of Teal had just made, and it all clicked! That was the pattern I wanted for the fabric! A spring/summer coat, perfect. The pattern is Burda 6772, unfortunately it doesn’t look like you can buy it anywhere at the moment!
According to measurements, I’ll be making the 44 with a small FBA and narrowing the shoulders. I might technically get away without an FBA, will need to toile the pattern as is before deciding. There is a hitch though, this pattern has a sidebody. Princess seams result in a side front, this has been attached to the side back as one piece, so you have centre back, side piece and centre front. I’ve not done an FBA with a sidebody before, so this could be interesting….
So, according to those measurements, I’d need to add 4cm of ease across the bust, 2cm at the waist but nothing on the hip. If I start by toiling the 44 as is, I know the bust will fit, but it will be too big across the shoulders and upper chest. I’ll have to figure out which way will work better for me. I guess that means it’s time to dig out the scrap fabric and start sewing. See you on the other side, but first, I have admin to finish so the toiling will have to wait for the weekend.