For those of you waiting for the results of the jeans! They’re done, worn and I’m rather happy with them! I have had my fun and games trying to chose the right size to make, initially going purely with my measurements and toiling the 31 in the slim leg version in some left over pieces of denim in the stash. The toile fabric wasn’t quite stretchy enough, but I figured with the proper stretch, that the 31 was just fine. But I was wrong – so wrong!! They were like leggings, but without the amount of stretch that leggings have – I felt like I was back in the late 80s again, having to wiggle and jump into my jeans! So if anyone out there would like a pair of slim leg Ash jeans in size 31 – I have a pair looking for a home!
It was tricky to figure out which size to actually make. In the end, I retraced all the sizes from 31 to 35, and graded between the sizes. I toiled the wide leg this time, using the left overs of that fabric I used for the slim leg version, so be sure of the stretch percentage. This time I had the 35 at the waist, going to the 33 at the hip, eventually ending at the 32 for the legs. The fit was much better, but slightly loose higher up, so I went down to the 34 at the waist.
Fabric for this pair of jeans came from the stash. I had initially bought two pieces of stretch denim from Croft Mill for these jeans, and the first pair was made with the Brexit – Devine fabric. It’s a lovely fabric, good dark blue colour and good weight for slim leg jeans. After the poor fit, I immediately put another 2m of the fabric into my basket to replace it! I didn’t want to use the next piece if it was going to go bad again, and I remembered that I had a piece of denim in the sewing cupboard. I cannot remember where or when I got it, but it was probably from Croft Mill too! They do tend to have good denims. Thank goodness for a stash!
As most of the construction details have already been covered in my Work in Progress post, I’ll leave that out here. Here I’ll tell you that I’m pleasantly surprised with this pair of jeans, they fit well, after all that faffing with different sizes, and I will definitely be making another pair, this time I’ll be brave and make the slim leg version. The sizing I chose seems to have done the trick, so I’ve transferred all that information to the slim leg pattern.
So, for me, it wasn’t a case of “fits straight out of the envelope”, but then that really doesn’t happen to many of us, does it!? The instructions are good and easy to follow, I just did my own zip thing. (See previous post about pattern designers making fly front zips overly complicated!) Initially, I thought the length of the “regular” height, full length was perfect, I cannot remember when last I didn’t need to cut a large chunk off the bottom of a pair of trousers. But, after wearing these a couple of times now, I feel they could be a smidgeon longer, max 2cm. Of course, that’s just about the hem allowance, so I’ll have to make a hem facing if I actually want to lengthen this pair. Perhaps with the slim leg, this length will be ok – but with the width of this pair of jeans, I feel they could be just that little bit longer.
So, it seems I can put my Birkin Flares (now 3 sizes too big) to bed, because Mama’s got a fabulous new jeans pattern – yeah! And with 4 leg styles to choose from, I’ll be busy for a while here… ps, I also have a length of another denim from Croft Mill Fabric to use on another pair, I can’t link to the fabric because it seems I bought the last 2m! Check out their denim fabrics though, I’ve honestly yet to be disappointed with their denim fabrics. Always get a sample first though, before you part with your hard earned money.