What a title! 😉 This is a project that’s been long waiting to be shown off. The pattern for the trousers is from the July issue of BurdaStyle 2019, number 120. I knew when I saw the photo in the magazine that it would appeal to at least one of the girls, if made in the “right fabric”. As always, that’s the crucial bit of any successful project! As predicted, one said, “Hmm…” and the other, “Ooooo!” I’ll let you figure out which was which 🙂
I traced the 36 and toiled it in August, doing a fitting over the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month. All I really needed to do was narrow the waist around 1.5cm, and that was it! I like an easy fit!! I had thought there might be a length issue, but it seems the hem is in the right place, even for someone with rather long legs.
I atually decided against physically narrowing the side seams etc, because this pattern has a sneaky hidden half belt that uses wide elastic attached to the side seams that fastens in the front with a buckle. Sooo, I just made the elastic a bit shorter, and it pulls the waistband in. This also means that if daughter no 2 has a heavy lunch, there’s a bit of give!
The fabric we chose is a piece we bought while on holiday in South Africa. It comes from a little shop in East London (Eastern Cape) called Bessie’s. Daughter No 2 did well at this shop, spending about R1 000, which, when you convert to pounds is around £50, but she got way more than what you’d get here in Blighty for the same amount of money! Three pieces of African wax were chosen, and this is one of them. It has a pale yellow ground, large “peacock” eyes (or leaves…) filled in with gold and very dark green (not black!) outlines and stripes. It is also relatively narrow, so with the wide legs of the pants pieces, I used a fair bit of the 3m we bought. I didn’t try to pattern match….
The making was pretty standard, pockets sit on the outside of the front and should have had a flap at the bottom, but we left that off, it does nothing. I found the amount required for the elastic to be excessive, even given I needed to reduce the amount so it actually pulled a bit, so if you don’t have exactly the amount required in the notions section, don’t stress. It took a while to get a buckle though. In the magazine, they’ve used a standard black plastic bag buckle, but that would have spoilt the look. In the end I found a bronze metal buckle in a haberdashery shop in Plymouth at the end of September that was the right width, and looked much better than a black plastic one!
So these pants were finally handed over to their happy recipient two weeks ago, who definitely plans to wear them this autumn, with tights, boots and a nice warm jumper and jacket! I’m pretty happy that she’s happy, and glad that they haven’t gone straight into the summer clothes boxes in the loft. I think there may be another version of this pattern on the cards, but we need to find that elusive “right fabric” again.