Work in Progress Wednesday 6/19

It’s been a while since we had a work in progress post!  Although this is now going out on Thursday instead of Wednesday!  I might have run completely out of energy to finish this post in time!  I have a couple of projects I really want to get done quickly, so I decided to have a day inspired by @birdy_sew_obsessed.  She gets so much done on her weekends, so I thought I’d channel a bit of her energy today.  I cut out 4 projects yesterday, & sew the two that needed blue thread first.

First I started with my second pair of Pattern Union Phoebe dungarees, the Bib & Tucker version of the jumpsuit.  The fabric is a lightweight denim chambray that I bought on my South African trip this year.  I don’t want those fabrics to hang around long enough to be called proper stash, even though they have already found their way into a box.  There are just too many to be allowed to sit in a pile on my cutting table!

Adjustments made to this version are:  shortening the leg by 20cm to make them cropped, raise the waistline on the trousers by 1.5cm, change the crotch curve slightly and add 2 back pockets.  The Zadie Jumpsuit pockets found their way onto the front again and that was it!  Click on the individual photographs to see them in more detail.  I managed, with many distractions, to get them finished by 3pm, apart from chosing buttons for the straps.  That’ll be done asap, and I’ll have a new pair of dungarees to wear on the allotment!

After a bite to eat and a quick run round of other jobs that needed to be done, I got cracking with the next project.  This is a piece of African Wax fabric – from the same holiday this year – in the most beautiful blue, almost periwinkle, but with more ooompfh.  The fabric is narrow and I only got 2m (why???) so I had to change the direction of the grain if the pattern was going to have any chance of fitting onto the fabric.  As there is no definite print direction, and no movement on the cross grain, I felt confident it would work.  The pattern is the Heron Wrap Top from the Merchant and Mills Workbook, I’ve only used the pattern once before!

It sews up quickly, only a few simple pieces, but boy it’s big!  Thankfully, once it’s wrapped around you, it loses a lot of that bulk!

dsc_00883101345249532988679.jpg
Topstitching the armhole hems and side seams

Stay tuned for the finished garments!!

 

 

Author: Anne W

I love fabric, and sewing. And I could do nothing else but sew, all day, every day, if I could!

2 thoughts on “Work in Progress Wednesday 6/19”

  1. I can’t wait to see both these makes. I get loads of compliments when I wear my Bib and Tucker jumpsuit so I haven’t been tempted to make a pair for gardening yet, but I bet they are comfortable!

    1. They really are! I think I’ll try the elasticated straps next time, I’d already made them up when I rmembered your suggestion!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.