I have tried to inject colour into my wardrobe, but I keep adding more of the basics, black, blue, white, beige and grey. I guess they’re just too easy to use! Speaking of basics…
I’ve added two Basic Instinct Tees to my summer collection this year, one I made just before heading off on holiday, the other I made just last week. This is a tee shirt pattern I really like. It’s loose enough to be comfy without being tent-like but still has shape, and made in a viscose jersey – it’s heaven to wear! I like it for all those reasons and more. For me, it’s the perfect design for wearing while gardening! Sleeves that cover the upper arm and prevent sunburn, crew neckline that doesn’t allow flashing when bending over and keeps the sun off delicate décolletage and back neck areas, and long enough to tuck in without popping out.
My first Basic Instinct tee this year was made in black viscose jersey – I think I bought it from Fabworks. The fabric was what remained after making Daughter No 1 two long sleeve tees in December, and was just enough. It’s lovely to wear, I love the feel and flow of viscose jersey, and in basic black, what’s not to like?? Then last week, I made another. This time in pale grey marle viscose jersey, again, I seem to recall I might have got the fabric from Fabworks, but it may have been Croft Mill Fabrics – honestly – I cannot remember!
It’s such a quick and simple tee to make, even with a floaty viscose jersey. I just love it, I need more of these in my life. Maybe I’ll find an actual colour to make one in! I think I’ll have to go down a size now, but the three I’ve made so far will still get use – lots of use!
Next on my round up of recent monochrome projects in another LB Pullover from Paper Theory. I went down a size this time, this is a size 14. I had been innocently browsing The Textile Centre’s website sale page when an interesting geometric ponte jumped out and hit me in the face, at £2.50 a metre, it was begging me to buy it! So I did! It’s a border print, solid black with this grey and white broken geometric print running parallel to both selveges. And the print is soooo nice! I took my time deciding where to place the print, it was too easy to pop it straight down the middle.
In the end, I decided to run it down the right of the pullover, as I wear it, but right over, with only some of the design coming up to the centre front. Then I placed the neckband to be in the same position, and cut the back so the design is mirrored. That was the easy part. The sleeves are wide enough that unless they are centered on the centre of the fabric, the all black part, they catch the design. I didn’t want the design running down the centre of the sleeve, and didn’t want a lot of it there anyway. I also didn’t really want to “waste” fabric by cutting both sleeves down the middle of the metre or so that was left…
So I went with just a small section of design on the front part of the sleeve, closest to the underarm seam. This was the sleeves are still part of something, but not covered in geometric print, thus taking away from the design on the body pieces. I think it’s worked out rather well, and I like the result! Only one beef – the fabric is not that good quality. This was the first time I’d worn the pullover, I’d carried some hessian shopping bags to the supermarket, and this pilling you see is from that. First time. I can only imagine how much pilling will happen with regular wear and washing. Maybe there’s a reason it was only £2.50/m.
Now I have some of this left, but not enough for a Toaster Sweater or a Sauni Cardigan, trust me, I tried! But – I think there might be enough for a cropped sweater, this Burda one, for example. I just need to dig out the traced pattern from a file somewhere – I made two of these for the girls in the lead up to Christmas 2017.
2 thoughts on “A Monochrome Selection”
I love how you placed the pattern for the pullover, what a pity it is of poor quality. Hope you are over your jet lag!
Try a fractal- great for squeaking out of scraps…