I’m on a Paper Theory roll at the moment! I’ve enjoyed making and wearing the LB Pullover this year, and the Zadie Jumpsuit had its christening this week on holiday in South Africa. It was lovely to wear! The other pattern I’ve made is the Kabuki Tee. It’s a loose, boxy, oversized tee pattern, designed for woven fabrics. I’d admired the large sleeves and front detail, with the opportunity to play with direction with stripes or other patterns.
This first garment is a plain, I bought some grey chambray earlier in the year with the Kabuki in mind. It’s probably a little stiffer than would be preferable, but I like the way it keeps the boxy shape of the design. All the edges were overlocked after sewing the relevant seams to keep it all neat and tidy inside, and I topstitched the armhole/sleeve seams.
It’s a relatively quick pattern to make, the instructions, as with all the other Paper Theory patterns are pretty straightforward. To make sure that there wouldn’t be any holes or inclination to tear once the corners on the front and back were snipped to allow for rotation and insertion of the sleeves, I interfaced that area with a scrap of fine sheer fusible. It just gives a little more stability to the fabric that’s going to be weakened.
I’ve worn the tee twice on my holiday in South Africa, and it’s been really comfy to wear. Hubby doesn’t like the oversized armholes, says need slimmer sleeves, but I like the look. I’ve also made a version in viscose, just to see how it looks in a much more drapey, fluid fabric. But I haven’t managed to wear that one just yet, so pics are non-existant!
I dragged the other half to a fabric shop to stock up on fabric to refill my suitcase (having emptied it of loads of stuff I brought out for friends and family) and picked up a black and white wide stripe linen that will either be another Kabuki or possibly another LB Pullover. I’m liking the idea of stripe manipulation…