With the Equinox on the 21st, it’s finally officially Spring here in the UK, and I’ve got a nice new springy green pair of trousers to show off! I’d been after an interesting pair of linen trousers for a while, and was thinking of drafting something when I took a quick look at the Style Arc website. They tend to have interesting designs and I thought I might be inspired somewhere along the line.
After a fairly short browse, I’d found 2 patterns I liked, one in particular. In the end, I just bought the pattern! Now this is my very first Style Arc pattern, despite them being very popular amongst certain areas of the sewing world, I’ve never bought one. And here’s why. Up to now, they’ve only been available in your size, although you get the size above and below your chosen size as well. But – these are seperate patterns, not nested, so it makes blending between sizes interesting, also, if I’m going to be dropping good money on a pattern, I want to be able to make it for more than just one person. I want more than 3 sizes. You could also only get PDF download versions in millions of A4 pages to stick together – something I particularly dislike, or wait for the pattern sheets to be sent from Australia, paying postage & customs charges on the way, making this an expensive pattern that had better be good! It was a pleasant surprise to find that this particular pattern not only came in multiple sizes, but they were nested and the PDF was available in A4 as well as a copy shop version. Sold! Now, if they start doing this with all the other patterns, Burda will have a real run for their money! I wanted a couple more, but they weren’t available in the same format. No matter, I’ll keep my eyes peeled and hope I can get them later once the multi-size copy shop versions become more available, here’s the link for all the multi-size patterns currently available.
So, on to this one, the pattern I’ve been rambling about is the Teddy Designer Pants. Pants, not pant! Here goes another rant, why only one? I have two legs, and want a pair of pants/trousers! *breathe* I fell for the nice deep, long pleat down the middle of the trouser legs, sewn down from the hem and the waistband for about 20cm, the slight cocoon shape to the outside leg seam, the wide, shaped waistband and narrow hem. Basically, all the design features! 😀 I had some olive (bright) green washed linen in the stash that was begging for an interesting pattern, and I had just enough!
Now, last time I mentioned there has been a little change of measurements around here. Earlier in the year the #SewMySize hashtag did the rounds on Instagram, showing “ordinary” sewists with their measurements with the hope that indi pattern companies in particular would recognise the range of body sizes and shapes out there and cater to all. I posted this photo.
But I’ve changed by eating habits and now I have new measurements, which means making different sizes! Woohoo! However, it also means I have a large pile of clothes that I need to make smaller so they don’t fall off me. I’ll be adjusting for summer, rather than sewing for summer! So, in the interest of openess and helping you to choose your size, these are the new measurements.
I traced the 16 and 14, based on those measurements and toiled the 16 to see where I needed to alter the pattern. Turns out the fit was pretty solid! The waistband fits snugly on the waist, with the upper edge on the natural waistline. There was no pulling around the high hip area, which can happen on some trouser patterns. All I needed to to was to shorten the leg, brilliant! I love the shape and the pleat, did a little wiggly dance around the sewing room in delight!
Making was fairly simple, I know some people have a problem with the instructions, or lack thereof, but being a Burda girl I’m used to sparse instructions. They did read a little oddly though, like they were written by someone for whom English is not their first language. The zip instructions were weird though, and for the final garment I ignored them entirely and did it my way. I cannot get my head round instructions that have you put the zip in backwards. I’ll be changing the pattern a bit for next time around the zip, basically adding the fly facing to the front trouser pattern, this eliminates bulk and gives me more to work with to sew the zip in from the centre front line. I might also bring the pockets up 2-3cm, but that’s not critical. I made the pockets bigger though! They’re too narrow for me, my phone and hand didn’t fit in, so I widened the curve to make more space. Three centimetres was taken out of the length of the leg.
I put the pants on for photos, and didn’t take them off! I decided they were so comfy that I’d wear them for the rest of the day. They really are good to wear, even the hubby likes them! So, as I have yet to start the next Zadie Jumpsuit – in the black linen from the stash, I think I just might use it for another quick pair of these! That way I have two pairs of pants to add to my suitcase for my holiday! And I’d better get something else while I’m away for the jumpsuit…
8 thoughts on “Spring Green”
Very nice- wide/pleated trousers [I’m 100% with you on the ‘pant’ thing] are not for me, but they look great on you. Love the colour as well. I do love Style Arc, their drafting is very good, their styles are always fresh and interesting, and I find the fit is good for me.
Very nice. I’m trying not to buy any more patterns at the moment but you might have just led me astray 😉
Woohoo! 😂☺️ It is a good pattern, I can see this becoming a TNT pretty easily.
So good when you make something that feels totally comfortable. They look great.
Agree it should be “pants” and yours are delightful. Thanks also for the good news about Style Arc updating their pattern process.