As promised – the woven version of the Paper Theory LB Pullover. But not just one – two! For once, the amazing top I saw in my head has actually lived up to expectations! I cut the same size in this as I did for the striped ponte version, but I’ve added length to the front along the bust line. This should result in a dart – which I did not want, so I rotated it to the hemline and removed the dart width from the side. So now I have length, and no dart! Yippee. But I’m thinking I could have added another centimetre or two and it wouldn’t have hurt.
The pattern is otherwise the same as the last one, with the exception of the collar/neckband. This time it’s cut on the bias, which looks pretty nice with the herringbone. The fabric, to remind you, is a silk and wool herringbone in sage green and ecru that I found in a local charity shop. It’s really lovely to wear, soft, with great drape and warm too. What’s better, I pop it in the washing machine with no problems! I love wearing this top with my Birkin Flares, and it’s just as good with my Peppermint Wide Leg Pants. It’s simple, clean and minimal. Perfect.
Version two is a fabric that’s been lurking in the stash since about 2006… I’d been patting this particular fabric in my local fabric shop everytime I went in, but not buying it because it was expensive, and what was I going to make with a silk fabric that looked like a chunky wool weave? Then it was down to the last metre and a bit and I had to make a decision, grab it or lose it forever. Naturally I grabbed it. But what to make? That’s why it’s been sitting for so long, but this pattern got me thinking and I decided to use it up. No, it’s not the most practical fabric in the world, but can I just say, it’s warm and snuggly and I love it! And most people think it’s a knit, or wool!
There wasn’t enough fabric to ut that nice big floppy collar on the bias, so I opted for the narrower band, which gives a finish more like a wide crew neck on a tee. I cut it on the straight first, because, unlike the taller collar, there is no mention of needing to change the grainline for a woven. It didn’t fit… So I cut strips of bias the required width, stitched them together until it was loong enough for the pattern piece and started again. It was still too short!! AAAAHHHHH I wasn’t going to add more bits of bias, you’d seen it and it would look messy. And I couldn’t cut more, there wasn’t enough fabric! So I stretched the bias. It was on the back that I had the problem, so I ignored the shoulder markings and stole a bit of the front band for the back. It works ok and looking at it, you can’t see a problem. I checked the pattern pieces against each other, and there it is, the narorw band is shorter than the wider one. I even double checked on the printed pattern, just in case I’d traced the wrong size, but nope. So be careful if you’re making the narrow band top, your fabric might not have the give that mine did!
I will be making more of these, but with a little more length added in the front. It’s not that I notice it when wearing, only when I look in the mirror or see these photos. The front definitely needs a bit more depth! I’m looking forward to making some woven versions in summer fabrics and shorter sleeves – linen and cotton tops would be lovely to wear in the warmer weather.
I had hoped to be running up a blue fleece version this week, but the remnant I have is just too short, so I’ll have to make something else with it. The downside of getting fabric you didn’t specifically order/buy! I guess it will have to be a kid thing.