Work in Progress Wednesday 1/19

Helloo & welcome back to another Work in Progress Wednesday!  I haven’t had much of a chance to do any of these posts for a while, too busy getting on with things!  Anyhow, I needed to get rid of some excess fabrics quickly, so decided to do that today and take a few photos while I was at it.

I had hauled out 4 pairs of trousers at the end of the summer that I wasn’t wearing anymore, either I didn’t like them, didn’t fit them, or had done something to them that made them unwearable.  Like catch a nail on the trouser leg on the allotment and rip a nice big hole…  I had intended to do some visible mending, afterall, they are just allotment trousers, but they are a little too big, have no pockets and really – I wasn’t in the mood.  But the rest of the fabric was fine, so what to do?

Make items that need less fabric – kid’s clothes!!  I have a friend in New Zealand with two ankle biters who is always happy for me to make clothes for them.  So on Tuesday I dug out some patterns I’d traced from a couple of Burda magazines and started unpicking trouser seams, ironing everything nice and flat and cutting out.  I managed to cut a pair of kid’s shorts from the ripped pants and a pinafore style dress from a pair of beige linen trousers that the calories have shrunk in the loft over the years.  I also had a piece of Irish Linen left over after making a little boy’s shirt about 4 years ago.  That has become another little dress!

collage bermudas
Girl’s Bermuda shorts

The shorts are from a khaki coloured linen, the fabric was still in really good condition, apart from the huge rip I got in it at the allotment last summer.  I decided to use up some of my handcut bias strips today, and sewed some onto the opening edge of the hip yoke pocket.  It helps to break up the khaki and brighten it up a little.  I cut the 5 year old size, so there’ll be growing room.  The little girl will be 3 in May this year, and I’ve made stuff upto that age already, so I’m growing her future wardrobe!

collage beige dress
Linen pinafore style dress

Next to be chopped up was a pair of stiffer linen trousers that haven’t fitted me properly for about 5 years – at least.  I keep them because, you know, I’ll loose the weight…  Yeah.  Pull the other one!  Because I had no fold to cut on, the front of the dress has a centre front seam which I decided to topstitch to make it more of a feature.  I also added pockets.  Pockets are important for everyone!  My daughter’s pockets would often contain a variety of coloured or interestingly shaped stones, bits of pottery they’d found in the garden and Lego.  So I’ve no doubt similar treasures will find their way into these pocketses.  Because the colour is a bit bland (all the better to add funky tees underneath), I thought I could use up some other things from my stash!  I’ve had these fusible applique flowers for years, so long I cannot even remember where and when I bought them!  If I even did.  They may have come from my mum!

screenshot_20190123-215101-014311544698077741563.jpeg

To keep the bulk down, I used strips of Liberty lawn left over after making a top for my Mum 3 years ago, and cutting an Ogden Cami for Daughter No2 on Sunday!  It adds a bit of colour.  Lacking the width of fabric to make the back the way the pattern is written, I inserted an invisible zip in place of the button band and facings.  I like patterns like this dress, I remember my girls living in them.  In the summer if it’s a bit chilly, add a tee, in the winter add a long sleeve tee and tights.  No worrying about fitting, it just hangs from the shoulders.  So, of course, I had to make another one, didn’t I!?

The same pattern, but the smaller size – this time the 4 year old size.  I had enough fabric left over after making a vintage shirt pattern to make the pattern properly.  And I added pockets again!  I cut them on the bias to add a little interest and decoration to the front.  The bias strips for the armhole and neckline look great, such a shame they’re on the insides!

collage irish linen
I even managed good mitres on the pocket corners!

I’ve had fun making these today, and I’ve got another 3 dresses cut out ready to sew up tomorrow!  I’m determined to do better at clearing out my scrap boxes this year, whether it’s making kid’s clothes or bags, pouches, bunting or even using for beeswax wraps.  I need those boxes to be empty by the end of the year – how’s that for a challenge??

 

Author: Anne W

I love fabric, and sewing. And I could do nothing else but sew, all day, every day, if I could!

4 thoughts on “Work in Progress Wednesday 1/19”

  1. Kids clothes are always fun to make. I don’t have anyone suitable to make for but remember occasions when I was able to go to town on the decorations. Fabric pens and pastel crayons for fabric are particularly satisfying 😁

  2. Great clothes for rambunctious ill ones. I used to do the same for my LaLa when she was small she’s now 13 going on 30 LOL. I would also make a small (3-4 inch) stuffed toy like cat, dog, chick or person & put it in the pocket. Very simple easy shape cut from a piece of same or contrast with embroidery for the eyes, nose & mouth. She ended up with a farm-zoo of animals & people enough to fill a small shoe box. Her mom saved everything for Lala if she has children. Quite a few pictures of her wearing the clothes & playing with the wee stuffed critters as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.