Well, it’s finally happened, I made a Toaster Sweater for myself!! After making so many for the girls, I’m glad to finally have one of my own. I used Toaster #1 for me. I like the look of the other version, but thought the length would be too short, the sleeves too long and the neckline too high for me.
I adjusted the pattern slightly by adding FBA and omitting the high-low hem and split side seam detail. The sleeves needed to be shortened too, I took 4c out of the length! I evened up the length of the body, making the front and back the same length as the back, and just sewed the side seam all the way. The Talvikki has that same detail, and it’s ok, but I prefer it without.
My fabric is a spicy rusty terracotta colour that’s rather tricky to label. I had wanted more of a paprika colour, similar to that of the linen I bought and loved so much in the summer. This has more red in it, and might be a slightly cooler tone. But – it will still work with my colours, and that’s what counts! My good friend, Jane in Chicago sent it to me as an early Xmas present! She’s a good friend.
The feece has just enough stretch in it to qualify, but next time I’ll make the sleeves wider if my fabric has just that much stretch again. It’s fine with tight fitting sleeves, or short sleeves, but if there’s more to my shirt underneath, it gets a bit crumpled and uncomfortable. However – this is a great sweater/fleece!! It’s so warm! And that’s the point – to have a warm, cuddly, toasty sweater now the weather has changed and winter is on it’s way. Now I need to make more…