This is a project I’ve been quite keep to make since spotting the pattern in the magazine. I liked the section seams of the sweatshirt (111 from February 2017), the opportunities for colour blocking and, most importantly of all, the chance to use it to use up some of the left over bits of ponte, quilted jersey and fleece fabric taking up a fair bit of room in my jersey fabrics box. I really do need the space for full lengths of useable fabrics!
I decided to trace the smallest size, the 36. The pieces are massive! On the sheet the front and back main pieces are just half, so I flipped the paper over and made them whole. This means that if I’m using leftovers, I know immediately how much space I need! There are enough of a couple of fabrics for this pattern to work, but I couldn’t make up my mind where to start. So I drew out a couple of tops and coloured them with the colours of fabric I have to try to get somewhere.
Then I asked Daughter No2 which she prefered. Typically she couldn’t decide either and said she needed to see the fabrics first – in person! But I really wanted to make the sweatshirt. So I laid the pieces out on some of the left over black and white ponte that I’d made my last Uvita Top in, and placed the sleeves and triangular side panels on left overs of plain black ponte from Daughter No2’s long cardigan. I liked the idea of the sides being solid in colour. I figured that if she didn’t like it, I’d offer it to Daughter No1. Once I started actually sewing, I figured I could always keep it for myself – it was that wide!
The essentials of the top are simple enough, especially if you’re not making the version with pockets. But the pocket instructions got me all befuddled. I obviously wasn’t having a brain fully engaged day, because I made a fluff and had to make do in the end. And in the end I realised what I should have done! So here’s a tip, if you’re planning on making this top. The pockets are KANGAROO pockets! If I’d realised that in the beginning I’d have understood the instructions immediately and done them correctly!
Anyhow, I am now pre-warned for the next time!! But will there be a next time? Maybe. It’s definitely going to be fabric dependent. Daughter No 2 was home on Friday for a quick visit to collect her winter coats and take them back to Birmingham. She was initially unsure of the top when she saw it, but decided she rather liked it once it was on! The verdict was positive, but only in a fabric that is fairly soft and has drape. She wouldn’t want it if the fabric had too much body (it would be very boxy) and with that width it’s not what she’d wear. But this one she likes!
4 thoughts on “Three Points”
I get carried away putting something together sometimes, then I have to spend an hour or so trying to figure out what happened. 😂 Colour blocking and using up fabrics is THE BEST! Nice work!
lol! I do like using up scraps, I might end up using the rest of these bits for kid’s clothes for a friend.
Turned out rather cute!
Yeah, might have to make another, but remember the pockets! I’ve made a large note in teh margin in the instructions that they are KANGAROO pockets! I might see that and remember…