Shirts are great layering pieces, don’t you think? I made two last month, one for each of the daughters, and although they’re both in fairly fine fabrics, with the addition of something underneath, they’ll be wearable for a while still. Daughter No1 was the recipient of a fine off-white linen shirt, pattern is 104 from May Burda 2012. The fabric had been in the stash for ages! It’s beautiful though, very soft and very fine, the best linen for making shirts!
I cut the 36 and made no alterations. In hindsight I should have graded out to the 38 from the waist to the hip. This pattern made up a fair bit smaller than I expected for a Burda magazine. There is a concealed buttonstand with a row of simple buttons hidden underneath. The sleeves are bracelet length but if I made this again I’d either go 3/4 or full length. I think this length looks like they’re too short, as if the shirt has shrunk in the wash!
I decided to use a gold/mustard thread for the details. I topstitched the dart on the front and flat felled the seams, using that mustard thread to pick the seams out. The buttonholes are also sewn in mustard. The only pretty buttons I used are on the cuffs! I picked out some nice mother of pearl buttons from the stash. I am happy with the finished blouse, despite the sleeve length! I also have a feeling I will need to trace the 38 and make one for daughter no 2…
My second shirt it 132 from July Burda 2012. Daughter No2 had added this to the list some time ago, but wanted the right fabric. We thought a soft chambray or something similar would be just right. When I was in Winchester I found some lovely navy double gauze at Closs & Hamblin for £10/m, and immediately thought of this shirt pattern. I snapped up 2m and traced the pattern. It is described as a Unisex shirt, but is in men’s sizes, the smallest equating to a ladies 40. I usually make the 38 for Daughter No2 to accommodate broad shoulders and long arms, so I figured the 40 would be fine, a little more roomy, but not too big.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have gone another size or maybe even two up. It doesn’t really look like an oversized shirt, but it does fit really well! It made up easily, but I have to admit I needed to refresh my memory on how to construct a tower placket on the sleeve. It has been so long since I last needed to make one! I had intended to use flat fell seams again, but the double gauze was thicker than I expected, so I used the overlocker for neatening instead.
This is another pattern that should have a concealed buttonstand, but I know she doesn’t like concealed buttonstands, so I swapped it out for a normal one! I also put the buttonholes on the right side for a ladies shirt. The buttons are from the stash, part of a job lot of shirt buttons bought a few years back. I am happy with how its turned out, the curved hem is great!
I think the result of these patterns is that I will make them again, checking sizing and possibly retracing. But they both look good and were easy and quick to make.