Catching up on all those clothes I sewed for the girls last month! You know the trend for paperbag waistlines in skirts and trousers? Well this is that, but at the neckline of a top! It’s another one of the “wants” on daughter no 2’s long list. The pattern is 121A from the November 2015 issue of BurdaStyle, shown in the magazine in green satin. Daughter no2 chose black cotton voile from the stash.
The pattern itself is deadly simple, only a couple of pieces required and an afternoon to sew and you’re done! I French seamed the insides for neatness and double turned the hem. The paperbag neckline is formed by inserting a bias cut drawstring into a casing formed at the base of the self-faced collar. Gathering the collar gives it height and texture, you just need to rearrange the folds in the top.
It’s turned out quite well, despite my initial misgivings when I finished it and arranged it on Betty. But it looks great on and she loves it! I delivered it to her 3 weeks ago now, and apparently, she’s worn it loads (sometimes not bothering to iron it first…) I guess you could say that’s a good sign! So that’s another #BurdaChallenge2018 project done.
By the way, this gorgeous skirt she’s wearing was one I made last year! I ended up putting an invisible zip in the centre back seam because she found the concealed button front so annoying!
I have many other projects made during the last month, such a backlog to show you!
So I’m adding a pair of shorts to this post! Daughter No2 is really happy with them and has announced that next summer, if I’d like, I can make many more of these! The pattern is 107 from July 2016 Burda. I cut the 38, but graded back to the 36 from the high hip to the waist. No other adjustments were needed.
The fabric came out of the stash, and it had been waiting a good couple of years for the right project to come along! I’d bought this 1m remnant piece from Clothspot in a sale thinking I’d make a skirt for the girls, but no… It’s a crisp blue linen with white stripes. The pocket pieces are lined, but instead of using fabric I didn’t have, and increasing linen-ey bulk, I chopped up one of the other half’s no-longer-wearable shirts and used that instead! I did have to make sure I lined up the stripes on the pockets and front pieces properly, it would have stood out too badly if I hadn’t!
The fit is fabulous, I’m really happy with that, and the length is just right too. The cuffs and tie make them a little more casual than they could be without. So I can definitely see more of these coming out of the sewing room next summer.