Hellooo, lovely patient people! I have a load of gorgeous clothes to show off, if you follow me on Instagram, you’ll have an idea of what I have to catch up on! The first will be a dress I made at the end of April for Daughter no 2, the last project for April’s Burda Challenge 2018.
The pattern is #132 from April 2011, the dress in the magazine is made from leather, but we have a lovely piece of warm blue denim. I’d bought the fabric from Rosenberg and Sons at the NEC about 3-4 years ago to make a little pair of dungarees for a child, but never got round to it… Time to make something different! There was only 1m, but it was just enough for the main dress pieces. As the original dress was made in leather, there weren’t any facing pieces for the neckline and armholes, and no hem. Cue lots of bias binding!
I traced the 38, which is the smallest size this pattern comes in. I only toiled the bodice, and this showed we needed a paper dart in the back armhole, and to take in the side seams under the arm by 1.5-2cm. In order to fit all the pattern pieces on the fabric, I omitted the hem allowance and used a piece of wide bias binding to make a false hem.
The pockets in the front seams are cool, topstitched on, but could probably do with being a slightly different shape, deeper would be more practical. The denim is perfect for the dress, the shape is held really well but the denim is soft, so it feels really nice. The length is also just right, daughter no 2 doesn’t like skirts too short. It was quick and easy to make, and I recon it would work really well in a heavier fabric for the winter – to wear with a long sleeved tee or thin jumper underneath.
We had fun taking pictures of the dress, I needed to water the new plants on the allotment so planned to take photos there, but we found a fluffy friend! She was very happy to be the photobomber.
That was the last project for April, May started off badly – productivity wise – but ended on a high! Of course, there was Me-Made-May going on in the background, which has been great this year. I’ve been inspired!
10 thoughts on “Second Chances”
Wonderful casual dress. I need to look up this pattern. I remember a similar from Burda 7/2016 (I think)… Do I have to make one now? 😉
I am incredibly impressed that you managed to squeeze it out of just 1m. You’re a sewing superhero. Super-sewist.
It’s a good pattern, and quick! I was pretty happy that it worked out so well.
Oh wow I remember this one. I made a toile of it once but couldn’t make it work for me. Your version is lovely and doesn’t have any of the bagginess issues I had. And only one metre of fabric!
Pattern tetris is all I can say!!
I love this make – the shaping is so clever with the bust dart, side panels and even the shape of the armhole is interesting. I’ve been thinking lately about a denim dress I had years ago (rtw – circa 1990) and been wanting to duplicate it again. I was similar with pockets and that V neck but it did have elbow length sleeves and I wore that thing a LOT – I wore it plain, with a turtle neck and leggings. It had been one of those spontaneous purchases in a “sidewalk” sale marked down to $10 from $70 and I ended up wearing it like crazy 🙂
It’s fabulous when you get a piece o clothing that just works so well! I’m hoping this will do the same, with tights and boots and a long sleeve tee, it’ll look fab!
Perfect pattern on her perfect body! You made me ache for those days gone by. (For me it would have been 1965-1970!) Nice job on the dress. Magic from 1 yard!
Thank you! 🙂