We’re just recovering from the coldest February/March week ever (in my 20 years) in the UK, so what did I decide to make for my first project for March Burda Challenge? A coat. A thick cuddly fleecy top. NOPE – I made a pair of streth cotton satin cropped trousers. As you do.
I had a pretty long list of items I could have made this month, looking through 8 years of Burdas showed March to be overall a pretty good month. But getting realistic, I don’t have enough fabric (the right fabric) to make them all, never mind the time! And hangars – if I’m going to continue to make clothes like this I am going to need more hangars (and wardrobe space).
The first item on the now shorter list is a pattern I’ve made before, trousers 109 from March 2010. The last pair was made in a very similar fabric, so I didn’t expect to make any changes to the pattern. The fabric I chose from the stash came from Croft Mill Fabrics, about 2-3 years ago. It’s gorgeous damson/plum colour, and one that does not exist in any way shape or form in my current palette. But I love it, and with a grey or silver top, these will look fab. (BTW if anyone knows where I can get copper or rust coloured stretch cotton satin – shout!)
I used a small piece of scrap pink rose print Liberty lawn for the pocket linings to minimise bulk, re-used the zip from an old project, long discarded. Even the perfect coloured thread for topstitching was found buried in the thread box, this really was a stashbusting project!
Sewing up was pretty easy, I overlocked all the pieces (yay for a new cutting blade!) and made a nice pile of purple fluff. Everything went swimmingly until I pinned the hem. These pants looked really short – even for cropped pants. So I tried them on and – oops, I think I may have been over zealous after making the last pair with the shortening… I had taken out 6cm in the leg length on the pattern, and maybe that’s the right amount, but on my legs it doesn’t look right – my calf is too wide there! So I let the hem down and I’ve made a false hem with some ribbon (from the stash again!). Much better – and I’ve re-adjusted the pattern accordingly!
On further investigation of the pattern, it turnes out the adjusments made were made after I’d sewn the last pair – which were supposed to be the cropped version! Oh dear, they most definitely were not cropped! So I need to find the happy medium between the two lengths. But I’m happy with these now, and the colour is really nice! I tested them out before committing to hem length with my elephant print silk top and the two went together surprisingly well. So I’m expecting these pants to fit into my spring/summer wardrobe fairly well.
Other items that made the short list for March are another pair of trousers, two tops and a spring coat! I was the lucky recipient last year of a lovely blue and white jacquard fabric to make a coat (Mother’s Day present) – and it’s still not been used. This is the year! I will make that coat!