There’s a lot of sewing to catch up on, so here goes. Two years ago I made a purchase of two pieces of grey wool (amongst other things – of course) from Croft Mill Fabrics. One of the pieces of wool is a suiting weight blend of viscose and mohair, and really wasn’t what I’d expected when it turned up! I pictured something thicker and warmer – snuggly… This was fine, had a sheen and was rather fluid. So it went into the stash until I could come up with something.
Eventually, after making this pair of Burda trousers earlier in the year, I decided to reuse the pattern and finally make up the silver grey fabric. Go stashbusting! I opted for the longer length view and the mini turn ups, leaving off the welt pockets at the back. I don’t use the ones on the other trousers at all, and it’s just annoying to have to iron the darn things flat each time.
I used the same fitting alterations as the last time, but didn’t shorten the pattern at all! There is no stretch in this fabric at all, and it’s shown that I probably need to make a chunky calf adjustment. It wasn’t a problem with the last pair because of the stretch content. Because the fabric is so thin and fine I decided to add a little something and raided my linings bag for something suitable to line the trousers. I picked out a green viscose lining and used it to half line the fronts.
There are no contrast fabrics anywhere else, the waistband and pockets are all in the main fabric. I’m really happy with the result, although I can see that they may not make it all the way through winter, being so thin. But they’re surprisingly warm(-ish). I love the mini turn-ups, and the finished length is perfect for wearing with heels or my silver brouges. Definitely making another sometime. I’ve worn them once a week since I made them, which is a good sign!
More catching up to come, although it won’t be stashbusting…