I’ve really fallen for this pattern. It’s been made in three different fabrics so far and I love each & every (very different) one. The pattern is culottes 104 from the February 2017 Burdastyle magazine. Made late last month for Daughter No2 to take on her holiday to Madeira, she chose a linen viscose blend new to the stash bought from Fabric Godmother earlier in the year. It was advertised as khaki, but was far more brown when it arrived, so I didn’t want it for me. However, Daughter No2 was happy with it.
The innards are all overlocked, but I used the sewing manchine for the construction. Unlike the two versions made for Daughter No1, this one has the original front fly zip, belt loops and long tie belt. All the elements work on this one. All I eliminated was the back flap that hints at a pocket there, but has none. I might add an actual pocket to another version as it’s usually handy to have a back pocket for your phone.
The construction was pretty straight forward, the facings and fly zip guard construction is the same as another pair of Burda trousers I’ve made hundreds of times so the instructions didn’t phase me as they seem to have done for some other makers of this pattern. I made the 36, but ended up taking the waist in so much it probably ended up being a 32! I graded out to the 38 over the hip and then back to the 36. The crotch depth was lengthened by 1cm. Daughter No2 is pretty tall and the finished length was perfect.
She’s having a fabulous holiday exploring Madeira and eating her way around the island! She is definitely entering the right profession, food is central to her day! I am going to have to put Madeira on my list of places to visit, her photos have made me very keen to do my own exploring.
In addition to the culottes, I rescued a left over piece of green linen from the scrap box and made the shorts version as well. There was enough on one piece for the front and back, and thankfully I found another piece for the pockets, facings and turn-ups (they aren’t supposed to be separate but I had no choice…).
It was only when the shorts were 99% finished that I realised that it wasn’t a trick of the light, or my tired eyes that made it look like there were two shades of green on the shorts. OOPS!! The other piece of green linen wasn’t the same! Oh dear, I hope it looks like it was supposed to be like this, a design feature!! The perils of using scraps I guess! I’m very slowly working on reducing the stash of fabrics, both whole pieces and those pesky scraps and left-overs.