Sounds like a tongue twister, doesn’t it? When I decided I’d do #mmmay17 I didn’t just want to do my usual, “wear as much made by me clothing as possible”. Because there’s not very much in my wardrobe (excluding undergarments) that I haven’t made. I needed to step it up, make it a worthwhile challenge for me.
So while I will wear as much clothing made by me as possible during the month, the decision was made to identify gaps (excluding undergarments!) and to try to fill them using stashed fabric, scraps and left overs, and my re-make/re-cut bag. The first item identified was a nice pair of pjs. Mine are a bit mix and match, not exactly what I’d call “nice” pyjamas.
I dug out the Carolyn Pajama pattern by Closet Case Files and then went diving into the stash boxes. Out came a bright and rather mad handbag print poplin that I’d bought years ago to use as lining in handmade totes and small handbags. There was enough left to make the short sleeved top. To top off the slightly mad look (well, mad for me – it’s bright!!) a metre of pink chambray joined the bag print to make the shorts.
I didn’t toile… I’d cut the Morgan Boyfriend jeans a couple of weeks before to the 18, but in the toiling process realised they were far too big, I did not need to size up. So this time I just went straight to the 16, did a small FBA on the top and went for it! It all fits really well, by some miracle!
I didn’t do any piping, contrast stitching, ribbons etc. There really didn’t seem to be any need. The instructions are clear and pretty straight forward, the top went together in an afternoon, and the shorts followed quickly the next morning. I need to get used to sleeping in a top with a collar, but otherwise I’m really happy with the result. I did go digging again to see if there was anything else I could use – to make another pair! We’ll see, there may be another pair with longer trousers in the pipeline.
I also decided I needed another short sleeved tee, with a scoop, rather than v-neck. I emptied my jersey fabric box which
is was pretty much full of small pieces, left-overs from previous projects. I tried to find fabrics of similar weight and colours that went together well and came up with this. I used the Birgitte tee that I’d changed a couple of years ago to allow for a contrast yoke, cutting the yokes and neckband in the ivory and the remainder of the pattern in the silver grey marl.
It’s a success. Really comfy to wear and the neckline doesn’t gape when I lean over or bend down – which I do a lot of on the allotment! The neckline has been raised by 3cm to get this right. I really need some clothes to garden in, some thing comfy and breathable and that doesn’t let people look down my top…. And pockets – lots of pockets! That’s my next identified gap. Gardening clothes.
I know lots of people just use something old from the cupboard, but even though I may have made some of my clothes a while ago – I don’t regard them as being good for gardening in! They’re still nice! I might reach into my re-cut bag for this part, depending on whether or not the pattern pieces of what I choose fit on/in!