I’ve been making lots of grey items this year, it’s a colour I really like, especially for the winter. It’s going to be overtaken by blue for the spring and summer soon! Back in January, or maybe even February, I finally made the Lark Tee. It had been on the list to make last Spring, then bumped to Autumn, and now it’s finally done.
The fabric is a pale silvery grey viscose jersey from Croft Mill Fabric, also bought early last year. It is lovely and soft, with good drape. I used the copy shop version of the Grainline Studio pattern, this being the first pattern from Grainline that I’ve made. I chose the scoop neckline with three quarter sleeves. I made a 3cm FBA, which I now think I could have done without in the size I made – either that or add the FBA to the smaller size.
The instructions are clear and concise, there’s not much to making a tee really! The shoulder seams were stabilised with iron on tape, and I feel that this fabric could have done with something on the neckline too, but not the iron on stuff, it makes it too stiff. But without any stabilisation the neckline tends to drift downwards during the day. Fabric with good drape will droop!
This is also the first time I’ve attempted blog photos myself. Without any daughters at home and a hubby who just doesn’t “get” what I’m trying for, I’ve tried doing the photos on the self timer on my phone. Nothing like taking millions of pics of yourself to make you feel self-conscious and a bit silly!
Another top that had been on the sewing list for a while is from last February’s Burda magazine (103 2/16), it has a hi-low hem, woven in the back and jersey in front and on the sleeves. I had thought it would be good in a linen jersey that I got from Ditto Fabrics, either last year or the one before, with some silk left over from a previous project on the back. But before I committed my nice linen jersey, I definitely wanted a toile!!
I cut the 44, adding a small FBA, and due to fabric shortages had to cut a yoke for the back, with the pleat falling from that, rather than from just below the neckline.
I’m fairly chuffed with it, probably will shorten the back hem a bit, you end up sitting on it so it gets all creased and crumpled – not a good look in pretty silk. I’d also need to enlarge the sleeve in the bicep area for the linen jersey. In this pale grey from Fancy Silks in Birmingham, the sleeve is ok, there is enough stretch, but the linen hasn’t got as much give. I need to drop the darts a couple of centimetres and might also make the FBA a little bigger – just in case! It must be right for the linen and silk!
I’ve worn this top loads since it was finished back in early-mid March, so that must mean it’s a successful toile – and very wearable!
I’ve managed a few more self-timer photos of some other tops made this month, hopefully they’ll be online soon. I want to make a pair of Morgan Jeans for the summer, started a toile this week which wasn’t altogether great, so I’m working out the gremlins there. I already have the fabric – bought it last year with the pattern when it first came out…..