This is me making up all that jersey bought in March! One of my not-New Years Resolutions for this year is to make fabric up when I buy it, and not let it disappear into the stash, only to be found years later when I either no longer like it, or no longer need/want what I’d originally bought the fabric for!
So here we have 3 tees, two using Maria Denmark’s Birgitte tee and one a Burdastyle pattern. The first was hard on the eyes to make! I had seen an IG post by Wendy Ward of a black and white tee shirt, stripes, of course, where she’d used two stripes, one black and white & one white and black, in the one shirt. There is a diagonal seam across the front of the tee and all the stripes appear to line up because of the single use of colour. This gave me a good idea to use for the black and white viscose stripe jersey I’d picked up at the NEC.
Using the v-neck version of the Birgitte, I drew a line across the front from the right shoulder point to the left seam, about 10-15 cm from the hem. Then I gave that line a slight downwards curve, because we’re not flat. I added a line marking the top of a black stripe on the right front, and another on the left front to I’d be sure to cut the pieces on different stripe.
When it came to getting the stripes to match nicely along that diagonal line, I questioned my sanity a bit! I marked the seamlines with chalk and pinned each and every black-to-white stripe all the way down. Then I basted by hand and checked from the front. There were a few strpes that had moved, so I unpicked and re-basted those areas. Then I used a long stitch on the sewing machine and stitched with a narrow, long zig zag stitch. I had to shift a few lines again after they’d don a little walking, but overall the method seemd to work! Then I used the overlocker and went over the seam again, but overlocked slightly away from the stitched seam
I love the way the line jumps down the front, the lines on the right side seam have the same jump as on the front line, and they match perfectly on the left. I’m really happy with how this turned out, it could have been a plain stripey tee, but now its something that makes your eyes blink!
The second is much more straight forward. Again, it’s a piece from the purchase at the NEC but I can’t remember which stall I got this fabric from! I just used the v-neck version of the Birgitte tee and it was made with no fuss in a couple of hours.
The last of the quick makes was really a toile, now I guess it’s a wearable toile! I have a lovely piece of pale grey marl viscose jersey from Croft Mill Fabrics and I didn’t want to waste it on a pattern I decided I didn’t like in the end. I got this pale pink-silver viscose jersey at fancy silk Stores during the Easter hols to use as toile fabric, but as I kinda like the resulting garment, I might dye it a little darker.
The pattern is the top of Dress 105 in the March 2016 Burdastyle magazine. There are various versions in the magazine, different lengths, neckline treatments and fabric uses. I wanted a slightly longer, tummy covering version! This looked good in the photos, so I thought I’d give it a go, but lengthened the front a bit, just in case!
I’m in two minds about the outcome. I think the sleeves aren’t narrow enough, certainly not the last 10cm as they end up flapping around my elbows by the end of a day. It’s maybe a little too long and wide for my shape. I can see a slimmer person looking fabulous in it, just as it is. Or maybe this jersey is just too drapey. Or maybe the colour is just too pale, perhaps a quick spin in the washing machine with some grey dye would make it better.
I have worn this top twice now, and I don’t mind it, but it’s not a piece I’d be desperate to wear as soon as it was back in the wardrobe either. At the end of the day, it’s a decent wearable toile, I’m just not convinced I’ll use my lovely Croft Mill jersey to make another.
So the Birgitte Basic tee is turning out to be a very good basic tee-shirt pattern to use, I like the fit, it’s so quick to make up & it doesn’t require too much fabric! I bought the Lark Tee PDF (copy shop version, of course) to compare, but I haven’t got round to making anything up just yet. Perhaps when I’m back from my holiday with some fresh jersey.