How to start a blog post almost two whole months after the last one, especially when it was full of positivity & promises of action.. Well, something is better than nothing I guess, so here goes with the first project I’ve actually managed to get photographed this year! I bought loads of pretty fabrics just after Christmas and found the most gorgeous print silk at Croft Mill Fabrics. The colours I liked, the print I thought I could deal with, so I swiftly added 2m to my basket and sat back and waited for it to be delivered. I was not disappointed. The fabric is even better in real life than the photos – the print looks so very much as if a watercolour artist has created a fabulous abstract with his/her favourite colours and it has a beautiful drape. It’s not a satin so was very easy to sew with.
I decided to use a self drafted pattern I’d used for silk before, this polka dot crepe de chine. It took me a while to make, simply because I had to find the time with all my other commitments. This week though, was crunch time. I’d dedicated a day at home to “getting things done” and one of those things was to finish the top! It’s all French seamed inside, as you’d expect with a gorgeous fine fabric.
The faux placket (facing on the outside that looks interesting) was easier to get right with crisp edges than the last one, slight variations in the silks I suppose. I love this pattern, and the print. Colours and print, how unlike me! I sort of wish I’d got more, but maybe I’ll take a second look at the other colourways instead, as this particular one is all sold out – I have a feeling I may have got the last of it!
I suppose I ought to tell you I spent hours making sure the pattern was matching across the side seams and sleeves, but I didn’t. I thought about it for about 5 minutes and decided life was too short! By happy coincidence things worked out just fine!
Next to make is a Day to Night Drape Top by Maria Denmark for Daughter No2, the fabric from Kat as part of the Sabretooth Swap organised by Anne. I have decided to make her a pencil skirt to go with the top, using the pattern for the plaid skirt I finished in November. It should all go together quite quickly (famous last words!) so maybe by the end of today I’d have finished two projects! *shhh, don’t jinx it…