After the reaction the orange skirt Daughter No2 wore with her wearable toile Carme, I decided I’d better give more info on the skirt she had on too! It was made in July 2012, so it’s had its fair share of outings already, but it was never blogged. I had used Simplicity 6896, view C. I liked the box pleats and the wide belt loops.
The fabric had been a plain white linen that I’d dyed this fabulous orange the year before. It had been a long piece of fabric, I cut it in half and dyed half Dylon Sunflower Yellow & this was Dylon Goldfish Orange. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but once in the stash it was ready when I was! I then saw an a-line skirt in a friend’s Boden catalogue, the online details are no longer available, but here’s an image someone has pinned to Pinterest.
It was linen and had been embellished with rows of equally spaced French knots in a contrasting colour. At the time I’d been making French knot sheep on pincushions and cushion covers and totebags, so a few more French knots on a skirt weren’t going to lose me any sleep! I found enough turquoise embroidery thread in my stash & bought a turquoise invisible zip too.
I made the skirt up first, then measured the width and divided that number into equal parts. I marked the position of the knots with a disappearing marker and got cracking. The result is really eye-catching, and it cost me a fraction of the Boden skirt! Yay for DIY fashion!
Just such a simple embellishment changes it from a normal skirt to something a little special. If you’d like to do something similar, here’s a French knot tutorial. I hope you’ve enjoyed our little journey into the past with this make, now I have to get on with a pair of trousers. I have a wedding reception to attend next month, and would you know it – I haven’t a thing to wear…