Sliding over the end of the month with a couple of days to spare, I have a third entry for the Sewing Double challenge from the Monthly Stitch! It also only just qualifies as a #Sewcialist project too. April was the month to sew with pink, but as that colour doesn’t present itself around this house very often, a light blush sort of pink will have to do!
The fabric used is one of the pieces I got my husband to buy me from John Lewis in January. I was determined it would not end up in the silk stash box, so the two pieces have been languishing on my sewing table, taunting me into making them up!
I didn’t use a self drafted pattern for this fabric – it’s a well used, tried & tested Burdastyle one. Style 138 from August 2011 has been made 4 times already, and I do love the shape & of course, the sleeves! 🙂 I also love how quickly it can be made, even when French seaming the entire thing.
I only made two alterations – one is the length. The pattern in the magazine is 10cm longer. There is no reason to exaggerate my short legs, so I lopped that off the paper pattern when I made the first one & have stuck to the revised length.
The other alteration was not to have the bias-trimmed opening at the back neck. The neckline is wide enough to pull over your head without it, but I did keep the separate back yoke with rouleau loops because I’d found the perfect vintage glass pearl buttons in the button basket at a charity shop!
So that’s one more top in my wardrobe – a coloured (slightly) and printed one to boot! I have spent some time developing a couple of patterns, they await a toile and all that jazz, but I am hopeful for them. I also made a pattern for a dress for Daughter No1, but left it until the day before she was to go back to Uni, so while the dress is now finished, I cannot show you it on her! I can show you a little bit…
I really must get cracking on those toiles, but I got inspired by a mad print in my stash box & decided to do a little vintage sewing with it. You’ll have to see Vintage Belle to see what I’m up to!
For those of you interested in seeing the other versions of the Burdastyle top 138, here are the links:
Green & Black – the first version