I have decided to delegate the Smarty Pants to Daughter No2. I mean, she looks so smart in these pants, so why not!? These are the trousers mentioned in my previous post, no 110 from Burdastyle 11/2013 in a damson coloured stretch cotton satin from Croft Mill Fabric. I originally over-ordered the fabric to ensure I had enough for a pair of trousers as well as a vintage dress which I need to turn into a coat/mac. I haven’t got round to doing the alterations necessary for the coat but Daughter No2 was desperate for these trousers. So I gave in & cut, anyway, I can always buy more fabric, can’t I?
The pattern is great. Daughter no2 seem made for the shape of Burda trousers, including the length! I always have to lop 5-6cm off for myself, but they are just right on my little giraffe. She’s 174.5cm tall, so generally we have a problem with shop trousers being waaay too short – which is why I make them instead. The fabric behaved perfectly, it irons like a dream & has enough, but not too much, stretch. I took in the side seams (making the 34) 5mm each, so effctively narrowing the pants – from the hip – 2cm each. She felt they were a little baggy before.
I overlocked everything before starting sewing & hand stitched the hem in place. The button & zip are from my stash. As you can see, she’s pretty chuffed with them! This outfit is completely handmade. The top is a vintage Simplicity pattern I made last year (see my Vintage Belle blog for details) & the swing jacket is what I made for my Jungle January project in 2013. As it’s half term here in the UK this week, she’s taken a day out from studying & masses of 6th form homework to go out with her friends, & this is what she went in!
It’s not even that cold today, & thankfully no rain is forecast either! But, rain or shine, I must get on with my own trousers. I have some gorgeous caramel coloured linen from Ditto Fabrics that’s just begging to be used & a whole pile of patterns needing to be traced!