Yup, I’ve made another one! I still haven’t quite got the sleevehead – armhole issue sorted, but it’s getting there. So, how many of these will I actually make this year? Who knows! It’s really quick to make, looks fab & uses very little fabric (apart from the sleeves – how long are they!!)
I was tossing fabric out of one of my stash boxes on Tuesday after I’d finished my Jungle blouse to see what else I had for me. I made two piles: Daughter No1 & Daughter No2. (I really should have dug in a different box) One of the pieces in the Daughter No2 pile was a 1m piece of black wool & polyester mix with a grey stripe, making a windowpane design. It was to have been made into a wiggle skirt, but her nose got this odd wrinkle when I offered it up.
Just off-hand I wondered how it would look as a Bellatrix Blazer. I laid it out & attempted to place the pattern pieces, cheating ever so slightly by placing the sleeves on the cross grain – but it fit! Sooo… I cut it! Overnight I remembered I had some turquoise & lime spotty silk that was to have been a dress. I’d got so far with it before realising it was totally not me, so bagged it & stuffed it into the far reaches of the fabric cupboard for “recutting”. I though it would be fabulous as the lining in what would otherwise be a plain, formal looking garment. It was just enough for the front & back pieces & the pockets, but again those sleeves wouldn’t play ball. In the end I used some left-over black lining that had been used to replace the lining in Husband’s French Connection jacket.
I cannot say too many times that this is a really easy pattern to make. Cut on Tuesday night, interfaced & marked on Wednesday morning, sewn in the late afternoon & finished on Thursday. Can you name another jacket you can finish that quickly? The only thing I did differently this time was to use some fusible canvas interfacing on the undercollar piece to hold this lightweight wool in place. With the cotton canvas print I left the stiffness out, but the fabric really needed the support this time. I do still want to make one for daughter No1, but first she needs to come home so I can show her the fabric I have in mind, & of course, she needs to try on a toile.
I know the photos do not do the stripe any justice, when we have weather that will allow outdoor photos with decent light, I promise to take a few more. For now though, the UK is battening down the hatches in preparation for yet another deluge & high winds. I guess we should be lucky that we at least aren’t suffering with the cold & snow like our friends in the USA.
In the interim, I have found another couple of pieces in the stash (!) for me, so I’m off to sketch out some ideas, because I can’t do anything with them in my head.