A piece of fabric practically jumped into my hands a little while ago while all I was supposed to be getting was a zip… On the remnants table at Fred Winter was this 60cm piece of ex-Missoni knit fabric. I couldn’t leave it there, could I??
You can just make out the cutting lines in this picture, I halved daughter no 2’s measurements and took 10% off the bust. As this is a stretch knit we didn’t want anything to fall down! Then I added to the hip measurement so the top/dress would flare out nicely toward the hem. Next I cut along the fold and overlocked the sides together. The top edge was overlocked too and then I turned under a casing for the elastic. This I used a twin needle to do, not having mastered the coverstitch on my overlocker just yet… Then I cut the straps off an old bra that had a matching colour to the stripes and sewed them on, daughter no 2 didn’t fancy any wardrobe malfunctions! I used the zigzag selvage for the hem, it just needed some tidying up, but I think it looks great!
And this is the finished product!